86' Tbird V6 Electrical Pop

86 Bird V6 Project

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This car is more than a project it's a lost cause that I'm stubborn on. Electrical is all sorts of messed up. Recently I reconnected the battery got interior lights on, dash lights, even headlights. However, from where the positive side of the battery terminal harness is, there is a large thick Gage wire going to a small black box with several wires coming out it sits bolted on to the frame above the battery to the left of the engine bay. When the battery was reattached this popped made some smoke and and a spark. Is this the distributor or what could it be? Any diagrams of electrical as fat as starting go would be excellent I will have more photos to come my phone was not charged at the time. I appreciate all help and any feedback in advance. Thank you guys!
-One lost tbird admirer-IMG_20160305_000831.jpg

It's the starter solenoid. Looks like someone may have connected accessories like a stereo amplifier there? There looks like wires that aren't factory. If they did it right they may have put a fuse there that you heard go. Also there is fuseable links connected to the battery side of the solenoid that could have failed due to a short somewhere in the car. I've never heard a solenoid itself fail in the manner you describe.

Back