81 Bird - won't start

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am new to this forum. I'm in Red Oak, TX south of Dallas. I just purchased a 1981 Thunderbird from an individual. I got it cheap as a non running car. I am now trying to figure why it is not running. The man I bought it from said he thinks the carburetor needs a rebuild. It turns over and almost starts and sometimes will start and run for a second or two. I have checked to make sure fuel is travelling from the tank to the fuel pump. It is. I have a clear fuel filter on it and I can see the fuel in the filter. The fuel pump appears to be new. By the way, this is the 3.3 Liter 6 cylinder with a one barrel Holly Carburetor. This is a California car. The car still has the old California plates on it. Would a clogged catalytic converter prevent it from starting? Would the bad carburetor totally prevent it from starting? What else can I look for on it. I'm anxious to get this little six running. I want to totally restore this car to better than new and have my wife drive it to car shows. It has a nice straight body and the interior is decent so I have a good foundation to start with. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice offered.

Here's an update to my above message. I discovered that the fuel pump looked new but it was malfunctioning. I replaced the fuel pump. I also disconnected the exhaust from the Catalytic Converter when I discovered it appeared to be the original catalytic converter and it was blocked up big time. After performing those two things the car started right up. I drove it around my yard since I don't have it legal for the road yet. I brought this car home Tuesday and got it running today. Tomorrow morning it will get cleaned up as it hasn't been washed in years.

Back