77 Vette - Broken Speedometer

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sophia

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
Does anyone know if you have to remove the dash on a 1977 Corvette, to fix the speedometer?

I was driving about 40 mph when the speedometer started going from 40 to 140 mph, rapidly back and forth. I knew it was about to break because it happened in another car, years ago.

There isn't any squeeks at all in this car, afraid it might have one or two after it is repaired. Also worried that the dash might get damaged if it has to be removed.

Thanks!

Don't know about vettes but old Fords used to have speedometer cables that would seize then break. On the only car I saw this happen too my brother was able to reach under the dash and unscrew the outer cable and feed a new cable down inside the cable housing. If it is a broken cable, at a minimum, the outer cable will have to be disconnected at the dash and transmission to get both halves of the broken cable out. You might give these guys a call to find out more about Corvette speedos.
http://dandmrestoration.home.mindspring.com/speedo.htm

Last edited:
The speed-o-meter has been fixed and they did have to remove the dash. Did a good job too, can't even tell that they touched it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back