67-69 heater core secret?

thesuperbad234

thesuperbad234

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all! I’ve got a 69 bird, as you all know it is winter in Utah and it is COLD. The previous owner of my car bypassed the heater core because it leaked, the only real way I can see to get to it is through the box in the engine compartment, It appears to me that the engine has to come out to go that route though, has anyone done a core in this body style? Is there a (slightly) easier way to replace it? I normally do all my own work but this is looking like one I might not want to even try tackling if I want to keep the wife happy. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

According to my 1973 Chilton's manual (covers cars from 1966 to 1973) it has different procedures depending on whether the car has A/C or not. Either way you must remove the hood and go in from the engine compartment. Neither of them requires removing the engine. I'll try to download the pages from the book.

Procedure for car with A/C; (67 to 71 Thunderbird in left column)
69wac.jpg

I’ll give the car a look tomorrow and see if that process looks like the winner, thanks! I appreciate your response! That’s a way different procedure than what I read in a Haynes manual, but it seems like it would make more sense.

On my 1967 I had to remove the hood and inner fender in order to gain access to blower and heater core. Have your old core retubed and don't trust a after market because many don't fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 1967 I had to remove the hood and inner fender in order to gain access to blower and heater core. Have your old core retubed and don't trust a after market because many don't fit.
About how long did all that take? I might just give ya a call one of these weekends if that’s alright!

Hey I am considering doing this to my 69. How did you do it?

Doesn't seem too bad actually, compared to a modern car. I'll be doing this soon, I have a new core on the way already. Has anybody successful yet?

Back