'57 Passenger side mirror

dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When my '57 was restored, the restorer stuck cheap plastic mirrors on both doors. These are bullet-shaped mirrors. The driver's side mirror is functional. The one on the passenger side cannot be viewed at any angle. The windshield post blocks any viewing from the driver's seat.

In looking at pics of restored and new Tbirds, some have no mirrors, others have the mirrors mounted on the fender towards the front of the car. The majority have mirrors mounted on the top of the door. Looking at them, I cannot see how the driver would be able to see the mirror on the passenger side.

I'd like to replace them and would really like to be able to use the passenger side mirror, but I'm not sure if a new one would work any better than what I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Does anyone owns a '57 that has a passenger side mirror? I just need to know the placement of your mirror. I cannot figure out how any mirror, unless it was mounted up on the fender, would be viewable from the driver's seat.

Thanks!

CASCO used to have a monthly publication called ThunderEnlightening, on the first page of the December 1990 edition they address the location of the outside mirrors. As they state in the publication;

"Those who want to "balance" their T-Bird by putting a mirror on the passenger door should know that if mounted the same as on the drivers door the driver won't be able to see it because the windshield pillar is in the way. "

Attached is the December 1990 issue of ThunderEnlightening.

Doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• ThunderEnlightening - December 1990.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Thank you so much for the reply. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Surely they would have a passenger side mirror if you couldn't see it :) Also, it's not nice to covet thy neighbor's Tbird, but in your case, I'll make an exception. Oh my, your '55 is beautiful. When we were looking for a Tbird, that color was my first choice. As you can see, we ended up with black. Oh well :) Thanks again.

I installed a side mirror for the passenger side on my 57 bird and it’s worth his weight in gold in traffic. I highly recommend adding one.

When my '57 was restored, the restorer stuck cheap plastic mirrors on both doors. These are bullet-shaped mirrors. The driver's side mirror is functional. The one on the passenger side cannot be viewed at any angle. The windshield post blocks any viewing from the driver's seat.

In looking at pics of restored and new Tbirds, some have no mirrors, others have the mirrors mounted on the fender towards the front of the car. The majority have mirrors mounted on the top of the door. Looking at them, I cannot see how the driver would be able to see the mirror on the passenger side.

I'd like to replace them and would really like to be able to use the passenger side mirror, but I'm not sure if a new one would work any better than what I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks
I have a very low mileage (37,206) 57 Bird and the factory installed mirror on the passenger side is useless. I rely on the large back window and the porthole for a clear view as to what's on my right.

agree totally with Chuck
Have a passenger side mirror on my 57 (matches driver side unit) available from various suppliers, I back my car into a tight space in my garage and would be lost without the mirror. I also find it very useful in traffic. Wing window must be folded all the way in.
Mounted in basically the same spot as driver door mirror.

If you look very carefully it can be used. Would be more useful if it was located further aft on the door but that would look kool.

Here is my creative way to add a side mirror. It's an eTrailer mirror on a Garmin dashboard base. Had to cut the mirror back so it fit into the ball on the base but it holds nicely.

Not perfect but when driving it allows me to see if there is anyone in the right lane.
Also is temporary so I can remove and put on the floor when I go to a car show.

CC368441-EA07-4C9D-9822-CA168CFD6EC4.jpeg

This has been a source of discussion for many years. If you can mount one in a usable place, go for it. Not original but practical. hence the porthole top and a good swivel of the head but with the rag top, not so much.

This has been a source of discussion for many years. If you can mount one in a usable place, go for it. Not original but practical. hence the porthole top and a good swivel of the head but with the rag top, not so much.
Great idea, i may do this. I like the fact that it is removable

Back