1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Santa has some Thunderbird Christmas gift ideas in this thread.

Dismiss Notice

'57 Passenger side mirror

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by dickday0, Dec 2, 2017.

1. When my '57 was restored, the restorer stuck cheap plastic mirrors on both doors. These are bullet-shaped mirrors. The driver's side mirror is functional. The one on the passenger side cannot be viewed at any angle. The windshield post blocks any viewing from the driver's seat.

In looking at pics of restored and new Tbirds, some have no mirrors, others have the mirrors mounted on the fender towards the front of the car. The majority have mirrors mounted on the top of the door. Looking at them, I cannot see how the driver would be able to see the mirror on the passenger side.

I'd like to replace them and would really like to be able to use the passenger side mirror, but I'm not sure if a new one would work any better than what I have.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Does anyone owns a '57 that has a passenger side mirror? I just need to know the placement of your mirror. I cannot figure out how any mirror, unless it was mounted up on the fender, would be viewable from the driver's seat.

Thanks!

3. CASCO used to have a monthly publication called ThunderEnlightening, on the first page of the December 1990 edition they address the location of the outside mirrors. As they state in the publication;

"Those who want to "balance" their T-Bird by putting a mirror on the passenger door should know that if mounted the same as on the drivers door the driver won't be able to see it because the windshield pillar is in the way. "

Attached is the December 1990 issue of ThunderEnlightening.

Doug7740
    1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attached Files:

dickday0 likes this.
  4. Thank you so much for the reply. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Surely they would have a passenger side mirror if you couldn't see it :) Also, it's not nice to covet thy neighbor's Tbird, but in your case, I'll make an exception. Oh my, your '55 is beautiful. When we were looking for a Tbird, that color was my first choice. As you can see, we ended up with black. Oh well :) Thanks again.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!