55' Thunderbird 292 Exhaust Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, while searching for a fitting drivers' side (left hand) exhaust manifold for my 1955 Thunderbird 292 I wonder if all manifolds there are on the market with the # 9431 A number would fit...

First pic I added here is the correct one for me , the shape is different to others that claims to fit in 55s' 292s also... I don't thing so
because I would have to modify my exhaust tubes what would be either hard or not possible... Am I wrong?

By the way: I'm still searching for one, mine has a crack. Because it's made of cast iron weld is not an option unfortunately.:(

Maybe anyone can help :cool:

Here are the pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
cracked cast iron

A good welding shop is able to weld your cast iron and grind back to look very close to original, make sure they are qualified to weld cast iron though, they should have a oven for preheating the manifold before and after welding, normally they will weld with nickel rod

Welding cracked cast iron

Lincoln electric has a commentary on welding cast iron.

Guidelines for Welding Cast Iron

Ask the welding shop if they have a weld procedure for cast iron and ask them to describe it or show it to you. Lincoln covers the to heat or not to heat debate. What is very necessary is to control the rate of cooling after welding. An exhaust manifold is a very thin casting so I would heat it and control the cooling rate, but a good shop will have a process that works for them. The person doing the actual weld must be experienced in welding thin cast iron.

I weld exhaust manifolds with a Henrob torch and get excellent results.
I did a 292 manifold for a 59 Ford.

272 - 292 - and 312 will inner change but they are expensive and hard to find

CASCO sells brand new manifolds for about $250.00, they have contracted a foundry to replicate the exhaust manifolds. I purchased one, not concourse but works.

The reason the exhaust manifold cracked was because a gasket was used between the engine and the exhaust manifold.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Very unusual that an American auto manufacturer didn’t use a gasket on the exhaust manifolds where they mate to the head, but apparently that is the way it came from the factory. I learned that the hard way.

Very unusual that an American auto manufacturer didn’t use a gasket on the exhaust manifolds where they mate to the head, but apparently that is the way it came from the factory. I learned that the hard way.
All y-blocks had exhaust gaskets from the factory. They cracked when the bolts were over tightened

The Y Block exhaust manifold to block gasket issue is one that I have wondered about for many years. I have had gaskets on my 57 for over 30 years and I have never had a crack (I also always use a torque wrench and the correct bolt tightening procedure). So the Y-Blocks left the factory with gaskets. At the Concours show in NY a couple of years ago, the judges made a point of my car incorrectly having gaskets. Why the difference of opinion on this subject? Can someone set the record straight once and for all? Either they did or they didn't come with gaskets. I wish I had checked the 57 "barn find" T-Bird that was at the above mentioned show - it was original.

My uncle had a new 1960 Merc with a 292. It had a leaking manifold gasket a few months after he bought it. I would think an 1956 Ford parts book would verify this mystery..every overhaul gasket set I seen has the gaskets.but maybe the early y block did not have gaskets

I was told by the technician at the CASCO Tbird refurbish shop that they did not use exhaust gaskets when new. He said he does not install them, I tend to believe them, they have been doing 55-57 Tbirds since 1969.I have no gaskets on mine, no leaks and no cracks. I wasn't there when they were building them new, So the mystery will continue. but as they say builders choice.

Most parts and repair manuals are produced after the car is on the market and may not reflect the assembly line procedures.

Anecdotal evidence is good but it still seems to me that someone should be able to prove one way or the other whether These cars had exhaust manifold gaskets when they left the assembly line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back