2005 engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
L
Last seen
just bought a 2005 bird that after it sits for a couple days the engine makes a noise for a couple seconds when it's started. Sounds like oil has drained from valve train.
Can anyone help on this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

just bought a 2005 bird that after it sits for a couple days the engine makes a noise for a couple seconds when it's started. Sounds like oil has drained from valve train.
Can anyone help on this?

Is it still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer. You should also consider an extended warranty for the next four years.

Engine Noise

My 03 bird does the same thing. It'similar to valve clatter and only lasts a few seconds. Let us know what your dealer says. I took mine in under Warranty and the dealer couldn't find a problem. I have 30,000 miles on my car and it still runs fine. I have an extended warranty if it turns into a severe problem. I fully agree that you should get the extended warrany. The birds are wonderful cars but they do have a few troublesome issues from time to time.

Have a great day,

Jim (jetbird)

Jim could that just be "pinging" from lower grade fuel?

Pinging on engine start up

George,

I have only used premium fuel from the time I purchased the car three years ago.

Have a great day,

Jim (jetbird)

noise on startup

I get a chirping or belt sound from time to time on startup. Purchased the car in April has extended warranty, but have not looked into having it looked at yet. Ed

If this only occurs on the first start up of the day or after the engine not running for a day or so, the most likely (and most over looked) cause is a failed ckeck valve/flapper in the oil filter.

When the valve fails it allows the oil in the filter to drain. The valve is a filter bypass for cold starting, in some less expensive filters once it is activated it stays open (flap type valve) In better filters it is a spring loaded ball type. It usually only comes into play during cold weather but sometimes they just fail...

If you have your oil changed at someplace other than ford you can ask for a priemum filter like, NAPA, WIX, or KN to name a few...

engine noise on startup

Hi Coastie, car is in the Ford shop now, been there for 3 days now. They called me yesterday suggesting it might be the same thing but they want to keep the car a few more days to be sure. Not sure but I think what happened is they changed the oil/filter and the noise went away (maybe). I'll keep everybody posted. Question now is what was making the noise? Was it the timing chain?

When you experiance oil drain back from a faulty filter the noise you hear on startup is called "valve clatter". "Valve Clatter" a combination of sounds of several components in the engines top end that would normally be serviced and thus cushioned immediately by the oil in the filter, knocking together, the timing chain in this instance could be one of these components.

cold start noise

Ford dealer has ordered parts. Problem seems to be something to do with the cam phaser. All greek to me but should know more in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back