2002 TB...seats do not lock...

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Our family has owned this red TBird since new. Just noticed that both seats do not lock...they just flop forward. The Ford people here do not know much. They seem to think that the seatbelts will lock in the event of a quick stop or collision. Is that the way it works?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Jo Anne,

My red 2002 does the same thing... A quick look through the owners manual shows nothing about the seats latching other than the tilt when sitting in it.. The belt would hold you in in case of an accident and if I'm not wrong, I think many two door cars were like that to allow easy access to the back seat, for people getting in and in our case, putting the small bags back there..

Thanks...the dealership also says that the seatbelts only lock if you are hit by a 10 MPH jolt. I thought that all seatbelts lock when you slam on the brakes. Of course I have had this car for ever and just noticed this!

Maybe the dealership meant the seat BACKS only lock when hit? The seatbelts obviously lock when breaking.

Thanks...the dealership also says that the seatbelts only lock if you are hit by a 10 MPH jolt. I thought that all seatbelts lock when you slam on the brakes. Of course I have had this car for ever and just noticed this!

I just bought ours 3 months ago.. I'm learning something new almost daily...

There is a previous thread on this. Seat backs lock if there is a collision.

Back