2002 Plastic Under Rear of Hard Top

R

rexcsmith

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The strip of plastic that the rear of my hard top comes down on needs to be changed. Is there a source for this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I use the strips shown by highwayghost. You can also use half inch open cell weatherstripping.

I also uae the stainless strips. Very subtle and prevents scratches.

Agree, use open cell weather stripping. and I also put on a heavy coat of wax along the rear portion where the hard top sits.

Virginia Beach greetings. I have the stainless strips on my '05 as well and find them very attractive. However, I have recently noticed that the leading edge of the strip on both sides of the car have worn through the canvas top exposing the black rubber underneath. When the top is up, the end of the strip contacts the convertible top on both the driver and passenger side. And each time the top is cycled up and down those ends rub against the canvas. Not sure how I'll address the problem but I gotta do something soon. I'm thinking of patching the worn area (it's about 1 sq. in. each side) and putting a plastic cover of some kind on the stainless trim end to give it a bearing surface. Thoughts?

Could you lift the strip end enough to carefully file some of it off, maybe with a Dremel tool so that it will not rub. If needed, remove the old 3M adhesive and add new to firmly hold down the edge. Were they installed too close? Do they need removed and reset? Not easy, but can carefully remove the strip by running some dental floss under to cut the adhesive. Clean off all old adhesive and cut new 3M to size and reset. A 'dry run' on the install before permanently setting is recommended with a Sharpie or tape for alignment marks. The 3M tape is unforgiving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3136351032...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

The strip of plastic that the rear of my hard top comes down on needs to be changed. Is there a source for this?
You can still get them from Ford but they are pretty pricey. Part number is 4W6Z-76202W30-AA. The kit contains 4 sets of the strips with everything needed to put them on. Be prepared to pay over $200 or more for the kit.

Could you lift the strip end enough to carefully file some of it off, maybe with a Dremel tool so that it will not rub. If needed, remove the old 3M adhesive and add new to firmly hold down the edge. Were they installed too close? Do they need removed and reset? Not easy, but can carefully remove the strip by running some dental floss under to cut the adhesive. Clean off all old adhesive and cut new 3M to size and reset. A 'dry run' on the install before permanently setting is recommended with a Sharpie or tape for alignment marks. The 3M tape is unforgiving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3136351032...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Thank you, I'm going to try your suggestion. I was hesitant getting a grinding/cutting tool close to the body and removing the offending material (what could POSSIBLY go wrong?) but will practice a few times with similar material before the real deal. I'll let ya know!

Thank you, I'm going to try your suggestion. I was hesitant getting a grinding/cutting tool close to the body and removing the offending material (what could POSSIBLY go wrong?) but will practice a few times with similar material before the real deal. I'll let ya know!
My stainless strips do not contact the top at any point; perhaps yours were mounted too far forward/inboard. I installed these strips myself and can tell you they are incredibly thin, you might get by trying to lift and end section but the chance of kinking the strip and making it unsightly are high.

I've done a lot of paint touch up on Corvettes with $20K+ paint jobs and only every used one or more layers of 3M blue painters tape, if add'l protection is needed then use that tape to secure a thin Bondo plastic spreader in place at a potential contact area(s) and use a Dremel tool or small jeweler's files to eliminate sharp spots.

I would avoid duct tape; its not meant to be removed.IMG_0806_lil.jpg

Last edited:
Alternatively (and probably safer) you could remove the strips and replace them, positioning the new ones less aggressively. These are getting hard to find and here is the only set I could locate (and this is the last one this supplier has!): You can lift the old trim off gently and clean the area underneath carefully with some of the Goo-Gone style Contractor Solvent and then rinse with rubbing alcohol and let dry, before applying the new strips. I have done this with the Thunderbird body emblems that use the same 3M adhesive backing with no issues. Finally, "patching" that Haartz Stayfast convertible top material will prob not work out too well...maybe talk to a pro. on that score.

Last edited:
I am using (for the first time) the plastic strips that came with my 2004. Until now, I've garaged the car and driven it only in good weather with the top down. The adhesive on the strips may have been effective 17 years ago, but now meticulously following the "Rear Deck Care Kit" instructions don't work: the adhesive has long since lost any stickiness that it once had. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a solution. Thank you.

Virginia Beach greetings. I have the stainless strips on my '05 as well and find them very attractive. However, I have recently noticed that the leading edge of the strip on both sides of the car have worn through the canvas top exposing the black rubber underneath. When the top is up, the end of the strip contacts the convertible top on both the driver and passenger side. And each time the top is cycled up and down those ends rub against the canvas. Not sure how I'll address the problem but I gotta do something soon. I'm thinking of patching the worn area (it's about 1 sq. in. each side) and putting a plastic cover of some kind on the stainless trim end to give it a bearing surface. Thoughts?

I had the same problem with the ss strips mounted to close to the canvas top causing it to rub and causing some damage. I just removed it. The car came that way when I got it two months ago. I had to remove the 3m glue and buff out the scratches that were left. Not a big fan of aftermarket stuff.

Back