2002 convertible top care

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Bark624

Bark624

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. New T-Bird owner here. Looking for advice on the care and maintenance of the convertible top. Any recommendations on products to use? A few things I've noticed. My top has marks on it in certain spots, I've read that this can be caused by rubbing and grease when down. What is good for that? Also, my top looks "tired" and seems to be shrinking? I've noticed stress in some of the seams. Someone told me these canvas tops will do that if left out in the sun too long? Needs a good conditioner/UV protection I think. I know there are products out there available, but none of the auto parts stores around me carries any. There are so many available online, don't want to waste my money on "snake oil". Thanks so much in advance!!

Hey, welcome to the club. The best I have found is Ragg Top Cleaner and protectant. I have also used 303 brand. Both are excellent. I have the same issue with creases in the material, not a lot of them but there are a few from it being folded in the winter. If you fin out how to get those out, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply, I went with the 303 products, baught the cleaner/protectant kit. 303 and RaggTopp both had good/excellent reviews, and the 303 products were a lot cheaper!

Creases - can you mist with water and warm iron out, holding a backer beneath the crease? Good luck.

I have to 2005 gold/tan top that mildews really bad. The only thing that seems to clean it is a pressure cleaner. It cleans it and tightens it up with no apparent problems. I sprayed it with Scotch Guard Water Repellent today to see if it will last.

Aerospace 303 worked well for me. My 2002 was stored in a collection for most of its life so I only used the protective formula. It was easy to apply. I have only had the car for 6 months and it is garaged, so I can’t tell how well it lasts.

I have owned my 02 bird since new, and sadly only wash it every few years since it is always parked in the garage.
When I wash it I only put water on the car body, not the convertible top, and just barely on the windshield.
In fact the other day I washed it with the top down. I got a little water on the convertible top, and it still
has the factory repellant on it, since the water beaded up like it was new.

I decided to put the top up, and gently wiped the top with a wet towel. Top is deep black and spotless like
new. I guess with only 12k miles, it may still be almost new.

I do drive it more now, so I may wash it 2 or 3 times per year now. Believe in 2019 I put about 400 miles on it.

Anyone know where I could get a diagram of the moving parts on 2002 soft top. It makes a noise when I pull it up. I lubricated all the moving parts I could find, it helped, but still makes a noise. Thanks.

Back