2002 AC recharge help

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've searched around and the concensus is that this model must be recharged using the low AC port located which must be accessed by removing plastic panels in the driver side wheel well. I have all the plastic removed and still don't see anything resembling a port to hook up to. The only thing I can find that looks right is on the front of the engine, passenger side, with a black cap but my understanding is that's the high pressure port. If anyone has a picture or something showing exactly where that low pressure port is and what it looks like, I'd really appreciate it.

Moderator Note 2020- See this new thread for A/C Troubleshooting- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ne-side-2002-2003-2004-2005-thunderbird.9446/

Last edited by a moderator:
You better check that video.. That might be the high side!
Hi Itsheets,

I just checked my 2002 t-bird and with the help of this website, it seems that the low pressure port it right in front up top of the engine just left of the fan cowl.. Could it be that easy? Check out the link..

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2003_Ford_Thunderbird_3.9L_V8/air_conditioner/recharge_freon

Hope this helps..

Better wait to see if someone else has info.. After looking over the internet and a few diagrams, that may be the high pressure port! On a drawings I found on the internet, looks like the low side could be on the compressor and it's probably buried on the driver side.. Sorry for the confusion, I only play an auto mechanic on TV..

Thanks guys. Yeah I've already found that port on the front and seems to be the only resource saying to do it there. Everyone says it's behind the driver side front wheel but even with all the plastic removed, I don't see any kind of port.

After checking another t-bird forum fordthunderbirdforum.com there is a post that sounds right.. Looks like it's under the driver side of the engine compartment on the compressor.. So not sure what that video is showing, although they did use stock video footage of the actual charge.. I think the guy blew up when he tried to use the port on the top of the engine, so they used b roll footage on the actual charge..

The thread on fordthunderbirdforum.com has photos ect... One guy said he was able to access the low pressure port without jacking up the car..

Below is the quote from tjcoyle1@*********

"Re: A/C Charge port 2002
First let me say I am not a mechanical person. I read all the posts on how hard is was to find and then charge the AC system.
I figured I would give it a try anyway. It worked! Here is how I did it.
I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left so I could get a good look.
I did not jack it up but took a tripod flashlight and got under there (driver's side).
I lifted the rubber flap and directly ahead was the low side port. I reached in and was able to unscrew it.
It was a stretch so I went to Discount Auto Parts and purchased a can of AC Pro with the extra long hose. The longer hose enabled me to shake and turn the can and within a few minutes the can was empty. I got in the car and had ice cold air! It took all of 10 minutes from start to finish.
Trust me if I can do it then anyone can accomplish this."
http://www.fordthunderbirdforum.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

So jump over and check out the thread titled A/C Charge Port in the 2002 - 2005 forum..

I've searched around and the concensus is that this model must be recharged using the low AC port located which must be accessed by removing plastic panels in the driver side wheel well. I have all the plastic removed and still don't see anything resembling a port to hook up to. The only thing I can find that looks right is on the front of the engine, passenger side, with a black cap but my understanding is that's the high pressure port. If anyone has a picture or something showing exactly where that low pressure port is and what it looks like, I'd really appreciate it.

He makes it sound a lot easier than it is I think. I did just confirm that it's down by the tire through a buddy who has an alldata membership. Still gotta try and get access to it though.

Back