1997 T-bird possible fuel issue.

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Last seen
Okay, heres the skinny. '97 bird with 4.6. Whats happening, at full throttle engine will cut out as if its turned off (or rev limiter reached). The stall is about a full second or two then its back on like normal. That has been happening for quite a while. Also, it is experiencing hard starts now. I pulled the vacuum tube from the fuel pressure regulator and it started right up. Intelligence says - yep that's the problem. But I wanted to make sure it didn't go deeper than that.

one fuel pressure regulator replaced. still have to key the ignition a few times to get the car started....weak fuel pump I guess.

Not too familiar with the 4.6, but on my SC multiple cranks to get the car started is a dead ringer for a cam sensor failure. Both cars have somewhat similar distibutorless ignition systems so it could very well be your cam sensor and not fuel related... Just a thought for you. :)

thx for the reply. If at first the car doesnt start I am turning the key to the on position (several times to engage the fuel pump). Then the car is firing up almost every time. Where is the cam sensor? Does this still fit into that scenaro? 193k on my Bird now. Truly love my car.

with 193k on the odometer it could possibly be anything! The fuel pump is not out of the question. If you turn the key on (make sure everything inside is off, like heater, stereo, etc) and listen for the pump to turn on. No sound and it's the pump for sure. Pain in the @$$ to change because you drop everything, exhaust, tank to get to it. But not bad if you're combining that with a couple other mods as well...

I know. 193k is far more than I ever thought I'd get out of her (I'm hard on vehicles but not foolish with them). I had originally bought her for my ex off ebay. She didn't like her so I started driving her. That was in '03. Other than oil changes, brakes, and tires, I've spent $400 in repairs - ball joints were shot at 74K, new plugs and wires at 100K (for good measure). Thats it! She has started and run 119K miles with out so much as a hiccup. I had always wanted an SC but I have really liked the durability of this bird, not to mention driving her. Not many V-8's getting mid 20 mpg out there.

Thanks again for the reply. Those really are some sharp pics. Need some interior shots too! I do covet your ride...

I'd have some interior pictures, but the past 4 year or so have not been kind. My rear window has been leaking and causing my rear seats to get wet, then dry excessively and are now starting to split at the seams. The front side bolsters on the driver's seat are also getting very worn as well. I'm actually planning on doing a complete interior swap at some point in the future. I'm currently debating on going with a '94-'97 swap or going with something a little different and installing a Lincoln Mark 8 interior. Either way presents a little difficulty as the emergency brake on the SC was on the center console, not on the floorboard as in all other models of the T-bird. And who knows, maybe I'll just stick with what I have. I've got some other projects that I'm beginning to seriously consider. And as such, may end up finding a stopping point on the SC sooner rather than later. But for now, I've got a lot of engine/performance upgrades coming soon. I will be getting a fresh shortblock and also install a high stall non-locking converter. The shortblock has a cam in it, albeit a small cam, but still much better than stock. I've got a set of underdrive pullies coming to me as well. Then I'll begin earnest work on my performance heads. I've got a set of ported heads, but these will be with aftermarket (larger diameter) valves, springs capable of providing the lift the cam will be making. Money permitting I will also be building a custom intercooler that is quite a bit different from anything anyone has done so far. I'm also stepping up to a better inlet plenum as well as a slightly larger throttle body. A few other mods that are less performance oriented may find their way into the car as well, like a battery relocation kit and a deep transmission pan. I've also got a set of HID conversion lights for the high beam, with the low beam already purchased, but on back order.

And when I replace the engine, I will be cleaning up my engine compartment significantly. I will steam clean the compartment and repaint the entire engine bay.

That's the plans I have for this year, plus some of my maintenance, like getting the rear window resealed and my rear differential rebuilt. I've got a pretty ambitious goal this year and I'm already on my way to having the parts. When it's all said and done, it will be much nicer than it is currently. But that's assuming I end up having the time to complete all this as well! LOL!

Hey Sam,

Another question. Have not had the chance to change the fuel pump yet...but I did change the cam sensor because I did notice that there was an intermittent problem with spark. The cam sensor would heat up and cause no spark, and when it cooled would work again (part of the hard start issue). So, the question is - is there anything else you know of that would create a no spark issue?

Thanks

There are a number of things that can cause no-spark issues (assuming that is actually what you have). Your coils, a bad ground (including your alternator), plug wires, plugs, etc. There are a number of things that can contribute to an ignition problem. Start by checking your wires (all relating to the ignition) for damaged connectors, missing insulation, or even broken wires. It'll be a slow process, but if you're having an ignition problem, it's needed.

Also, I know you want to do this yourself, but don't be afraid to take it to a quality mechanic. I certainly do when I find myself not making any progress...

Hey Sam!

I drove thru your fair city today! Made me think to drop you a line and see how you were doing. Hopefully good - and I hope your summer projects are coming along nicely.

Culley

You should give me a warning next time you head through...maybe we can get a bite to eat or something!

Things are going well for me personally, but not so much for the car. My plans were seemingly coming together. This winter I purchased a much newer short block to install. I dropped the heads of at my machinist for porting, but no big rush on them. Yesterday I got the flow numbers from him (they are REALLY good!), but I'm without car. I purchased a few modifications and took my SC apart to get them installed. After I got it all put back together (along with a new MAOTS Quarterhorse tuning chip) I started it up. It ran a little rough so I figured it needed some new gas. I live .7 mile from the closest gas station. I didn't make it. Apparently I had blown my head gaskets sometime last fall and wasn't aware of it. I found all this out on Tuesday.

The good is that I have the new short block and the heads are getting finished. I have flow numbers to get the cam ordered, but I'm not making our scheduled tune tomorrow. I was hoping to have a driving car while I am working on the other engine, but that is not the case. I have to be content driving my buick for now...

Wow, that is a little bit of a set back on the project. At least you have promising numbers and are able to get the ball rolling on the new (to you) engine. That is exciting stuff. On my front, my bird has not been started in over a month. I have been on the road for my job, and haven't seen Texas in a bit. When I return I am basically going to donate the car to a family member that is starting college. She has been a great ride, and I will miss her. I do have that new rear end that never made it into the car. 3.73 posi. If you or anyone you know are interested in it. I paid $200 for it and its still sitting with the plugs in it, in storage.

On the flip side, I will be leaving Kearney tomorrow early evening (4:30ish) heading to Omaha...I will be in need of a pit stop around Lincoln, especially if that wind is blowing! cdtraweek@yahoo. Gimme a shout!

Culley

Culley,
Glad you took time to stop by yesterday. It was good to meet you and put a face with the name!

Thought I'd also give you an update. The white car that was on the dyno for a while sorting out the various problems ended up with over 400 rwhp and 400 rwtq. Then later they put Ken's SC (the really nice red one) back on the dyno. He peaked out with 399 rwhp and 399 rwtq. It was impressive to see them pull those numbers out of little old V6's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back