1973 IP Gauge Cluster 5inch Tachometer/Temp Gauge

B

BigBird28

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So on the far left side of my IP the 5inch clock doesn't work. I've removed it and explored options for having it restored but the hefty price tag has changed my plans. I'm now thinking of installing a tachometer or preferably a tachometer with a temp gauge.
Has anyone done this kind of modification?

I'm finding that locating a 5inch tach is relatively difficult, not to mention a 5 inch tach with a temp gauge. Also worth noting, I'm planning to upgrade my distributor to a recurved duraspark. Any thoughts/experience on this would be much appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have previously considered what you are proposing, but after searching for a 5" Tach. Made decision to order a new clock (which runs too fast) and add an aftermarket cluster under the dash. The added benefit was now a volt meter and temperature gauge. Both in my mind are required on these Big Block engines.
PS) Also upgraded the OE distributor to MSD and never looked back!

I have previously considered what you are proposing, but after searching for a 5" Tach. Made decision to order a new clock (which runs too fast) and add an aftermarket cluster under the dash. The added benefit was now a volt meter and temperature gauge. Both in my mind are required on these Big Block engines.
PS) Also upgraded the OE distributor to MSD and never looked back!
Thanks for that input! Do you have any pictures of your setup or any recommendations? I've been looking at some of those aftermarket clusters. Ideally I'd love tach, temp, and definitely per your words a volt meter.

I'm also looking at distributors and a better timing chain. Which MSD did you go with and how did you set the timing? I've heard about "recurved" distributors but as I've never messed with timing on my newer cars, this is my first step into playing with the timing and I certainly don't want detonation or destroyed valves.

Sorry but do not have picture, but it is really a personal choice (stay with the good quality gauges and sensors. As for distributor, purchased at Summit and had a real (old school) mechanic install and set timing. In my opinion, NOT something for the novice to install, but great not to deal with gapping, setting points any longer.

I guess I'll just cozy up to the 5in hole in the IP for now :D
Definitely looking at distributors and an auxiliary gauge cluster now. Though if I can fit a 5in tach in there that's somewhat "on brand" I'll do that and just bolt a temp gauge/volt meter somewhere convenient. Still looking for a willing mechanic locally which is proving to be a bit of a problem! Everywhere I've called is either too busy or doesn't want to work on a car this old.

Back