1969 Potential wiring nightmare!

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
thesuperbad234

thesuperbad234

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey all, I’ve got a real issue on my hands. My charging system wasn’t working properly, or at all for that matter on my 69 bird. I tested off the back of my alternator to find it was only charging at 11 volts, no good! So I purchased a new alternator and voltage regulator from Oreilly’s, figuring I might as well do them both. I installed the alternator first, no problems but still wasn’t showing a charge on the battery, so I plugged the new VR in and sat it above the old one for a ground and began seeing my meter climb to 13 volts, upon reaching over to rev the motor up to see if I had an increase, it just died. Smoke was coming from the new VR, and from under the drivers side dash! (It smelled great too). Now I have absolutely nothing when I turn the key. Does anyone have a diagram of the starting system I can look at to see how much work I’m in for? Did the new VR cause the issue? Any input as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks !

If I remember correctly you said you have a Hayne's manual. Aren't there wiring diagrams in the Hayne's manual? If not Faxon Auto literature sells the diagram for around $40. I don't have any diagrams for '69 that I know of.

If I remember correctly you said you have a Hayne's manual. Aren't there wiring diagrams in the Hayne's manual? If not Faxon Auto literature sells the diagram for around $40. I don't have any diagrams for '69 that I know of.
I have a generic chilton that covers all cars 67-73 or something, but the wiring diagrams in that are very slim. After sitting for a day everything functions fine, I’m baffled by it

You really need to get a look under the dash where it was smoking. Check to make sure there are no bare wires. If there are any "hot" wires that no longer have insulation they could short and cause a lot more problems than you have already have.

I pulled the panel a couple hours ago, along with the ignition switch and checked all the wiring and insulation, no wires feel “crispy” or stiff, all the insulation is still on all of them, and no signs of any of them even heating up. Still haven’t solved my charging issue, but I’m glad I’m not re wiring a car

Back