1969-1970 Fuel line info.

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Need some help with this. Will the tank to fuel pump fuel line from a 1970 429 fix our 1969 429. I don't want to order one from classic tube and then have it not fix. New to thunderbirds so any help would be great. Also have a 1966 to work on after we get 69 up and going.

Well it looks like there isn't anyone to answer your question. I think the short answer is "No. They are different." but the long answer to me would be "Yes. You can probably make it work." Of course if you are trying to build an "exact original" show car you may be out of luck. The way I see it you have a couple options. (1) Buy the preformed tubing and adjust where you have to. (2) You can buy tubing sections and make your own bends and make something that fits and works. If you choose to buy the preformed tubing you may be pleasantly surprised to find that although it doesn't route exactly the same way on the frame that it actually fits just fine only has a couple mount clips that have to relocated. I personally would buy the preformed and then go from there (option 1). If something needs to be made to get around an issue I would then go buy a short tube section at the local parts store and make that "Jumper" I need.

Well it looks like there isn't anyone to answer your question. I think the short answer is "No. They are different." but the long answer to me would be "Yes. You can probably make it work." Of course if you are trying to build an "exact original" show car you may be out of luck. The way I see it you have a couple options. (1) Buy the preformed tubing and adjust where you have to. (2) You can buy tubing sections and make your own bends and make something that fits and works. If you choose to buy the preformed tubing you may be pleasantly surprised to find that although it doesn't route exactly the same way on the frame that it actually fits just fine only has a couple mount clips that have to relocated. I personally would buy the preformed and then go from there (option 1). If something needs to be made to get around an issue I would then go buy a short tube section at the local parts store and make that "Jumper" I need.

Thanks I think that what I am going to do as I have no real way of bending fuel line.

If you should choose to make your own tubes the tools (bending and flaring) are not very expensive. The only issue is that sometime people do not consider the location of where they run the lines and may end up running a fuel line right next to an exhaust pipe or manifold. There is also a tube product available that a lot of the hot rod guys are using. It bends more easily that the old steel or stainless steel lines. I don't recall the name of it right at this moment but I think it's poly-something or other.
Napa Know-how has a tutorial on bending and flaring brake and fuel lines.

If you should choose to make your own tubes the tools (bending and flaring) are not very expensive. The only issue is that sometime people do not consider the location of where they run the lines and may end up running a fuel line right next to an exhaust pipe or manifold. There is also a tube product available that a lot of the hot rod guys are using. It bends more easily that the old steel or stainless steel lines. I don't recall the name of it right at this moment but I think it's poly-something or other.
Napa Know-how has a tutorial on bending and flaring brake and fuel lines.
I have heard of it but I think I fell ok about the steel lines then modify to fit.

Had sort of the same issue with my 68's brake lines. I just got lines from a parts store with the shaping tool and worked just fine.

Hey was wondering if anyone out there can tell me if the rear brake drums that they sell for a 1969 thunderbird will actually work as they look nothing like the original.

Well got the fuel line in place and it should work. Just got the line and started bending. Came out ok will work for what it is. Not a show stopper but good enough.

Back