1965 Speedometer cable repair

CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I bought a '65 a few months ago and the speedometer is all red. The odometer was working until the cable broke. I put in a new cable from the trans to the cruise control thing but am concerned that the speedometer is stuck or binding so I am holding off putting in the second cable. Seems like a major job to get it out. Has anyone had one like this and was able to repair it?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I bought a '65 a few months ago and the speedometer is all red. The odometer was working until the cable broke. I put in a new cable from the trans to the cruise control thing but am concerned that the speedometer is stuck or binding so I am holding off putting in the second cable. Seems like a major job to get it out. Has anyone had one like this and was able to repair it?
There is no mechanical linkage from the cable to the speedometer. There is a spring that keeps it at zero. A horizontal cylinder spins off the cable and causes a magnectic field that rotates the speedometer barrel against the spring tension.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 7
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 7
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 6
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 7
You can remove the assembly without removing the dash. Unscrew the cable from the unit first from underneath the dash. Remove the steering wheel for access.

Back