1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Santa has some Thunderbird Christmas gift ideas in this thread.

Dismiss Notice

1964 Neutral Switch

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Dj-Dan, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Good day Members, I recently purchased this 64 in Hanover Pa. The Neutral switch has been quirky, so I tried realigning it. Once I put it in Drive or reverse, then re-start it again, it won't start unless I push the spring loaded lever on the switch under the dash. Should I try taking it out and tighten the springs or just buy a new one? Any Suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

tbird likes this.
  2. captrick

captrick Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

I think you should replace it because according to Murphy's Law. " What ever can go wrong at any particular time will go wrong when you worst expect" one day the switch will take a permanent vacation and you will be stuck and have to get towed home. Good luck Rick.

3. I took your advice Rick and bought a new Neutral Switch. I have done some research and found out that I will need to replace my lower selective bushing in the engine department also. Back in 60's they used rubber and of course from the constant changing of positions of the selector and being in the engine department, they disintegrated.

4. captrick

captrick Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

Good that it was a simple fix and didn't cost much, good luck and enjoy..............

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!