1964 Neutral Switch

Dj-Dan
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good day Members, I recently purchased this 64 in Hanover Pa. The Neutral switch has been quirky, so I tried realigning it. Once I put it in Drive or reverse, then re-start it again, it won't start unless I push the spring loaded lever on the switch under the dash. Should I try taking it out and tighten the springs or just buy a new one? Any Suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Good day Members, I recently purchased this 64 in Hanover Pa. The Neutral switch has been quirky, so I tried realigning it. Once I put it in Drive or reverse, then re-start it again, it won't start unless I push the spring loaded lever on the switch under the dash. Should I try taking it out and tighten the springs or just buy a new one? Any Suggestions and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I think you should replace it because according to Murphy's Law. " What ever can go wrong at any particular time will go wrong when you worst expect" one day the switch will take a permanent vacation and you will be stuck and have to get towed home. Good luck Rick.

I took your advice Rick and bought a new Neutral Switch. I have done some research and found out that I will need to replace my lower selective bushing in the engine department also. Back in 60's they used rubber and of course from the constant changing of positions of the selector and being in the engine department, they disintegrated.

Good that it was a simple fix and didn't cost much, good luck and enjoy..............

I put in a neutral safety switch when I got my car in 2005. Only put 700 miles on it. I can't find in my manual how to adjust the switch. Does anyone know how to do it or what page it is on?

Problems alligning neutral safety switch on 1964 Thunderbird convertible. When I get it to start the trunk lid won't go down. I installed new relay for that. Thanks for your help, all new to me.
Rotter

Back