1964 lights fluctuate when running

L

Little Veston

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Electrical problem, head lights, all lights will flux when car is running. I replaced the alternator and voltage reg, still does it. I can turn on the AC/heat, it levels out under a load. Help?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I encountered a similar situation last year with mine...lights flickering, going out...had to pull over..then they would work for a while then same thing. Discovered that I had accidentely hit the high beam button on the floor and my electrical system could not take the load. Might not be your case but good to know! Good luck!

I encountered a similar situation last year with mine...lights flickering, going out...had to pull over..then they would work for a while then same thing. Discovered that I had accidentely hit the high beam button on the floor and my electrical system could not take the load. Might not be your case but good to know! Good luck!
Thanks, but it all works good, just not steady. I know about the dimmer button, I replaced mine.

A defective headlight switch can overheat and your headlights will go out. They will work again after the switch cools off.

Electrical problem, head lights, all lights will flux when car is running. I replaced the alternator and voltage reg, still does it. I can turn on the AC/heat, it levels out under a load. Help?
It's been many years ('66) since Auto / Diesel mechanics school but seems like the problem might be the slight load on the voltage regulator causing it to cycle rather than stay engaged and the fix was a capacitor / condenser at the regulator but I don't remember which terminals

Back