1963 shifting problem

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1963 Thunderbird with a shifting problem. For the first mile or so it shifts OK. Then it shifts into second gear by itself and stays there for 3-4 miles and starts to shift OK for the rest of the trip. Any thoughts ???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 1963 Thunderbird with a shifting problem. For the first mile or so it shifts OK. Then it shifts into second gear by itself and stays there for 3-4 miles and starts to shift OK for the rest of the trip. Any thoughts ???
1. Check fluid level and quality. If not clear, will need to service, perhaps even rebuild.
2. Band adjustment (see the shop manual).

Hi, It seems to me that the vacuum modulator at the rear of the transmission is bad or the hose attached to it is cracked and leaking vacuum. If OK, then there may be another vacuum hose leaking somewhere.

Back