1963 hard steering after new pump and lines install

Dustin F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone have any answers? I installed a new power steering pump and new high pressure line, worked out the air and I'm still getting hard steering. Do I need to break in the the pump? Any help will be great

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Anyone have any answers? I installed a new power steering pump and new high pressure line, worked out the air and I'm still getting hard steering. Do I need to break in the the pump? Any help will be great
I know the baby birds have a P/S pump filter I don't know if the bullet birds did also. Possible clogged filter if they do?

No filter that I am aware of. Get to driving, it takes 500 miles to break in the pump.

Check your new pump. I ordered a “new” one from Rock Auto. It was Chinese. It was very loud. RA replaced it. The second one didn’t pump (hard steering). They replaced that one. The third one didn’t work either. I gave up and installed a Saginaw (GM) pump, and all is good.

That's what I'm afraid of and your not the only one that's said that. I ordered mine from rock auto too sounds like the same issue you had. May have to get another pump. Pain in the rear. Thanks for the info

Rebild original if at all possible. Saginaw Is a very reputable supplier and have been around for ages but only by word of mouth keeps them going strong. Glad you found them. Cheers.

Back