1963 brake booster -- best replacement

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello. Newby here looking for direction. I need to replace brake booster on my 63 Thunderbird. A rebuild will cost $400 plus shipping my old one to the seller. However I see a replacement aftermarket booster for $250 on E-bay. I am not concerned about an original look so are the new aftermarket boosters the way to go ??
THANKS in advance.

Went and checked and they have one for 266 and then they have where you order and they send you shipping instructions to ship yours for rebuilding and it cost 126 and then another one for 150 dollars. Still better than what you have found I think.

They give you discounted shipping as they send the shipping papers and refund you what is left over. What you found looks like a really good deal as it also has the master cylinder on it so both parts are new. I would go for it. so far all the parts that I have bought from eBay have worked good.

I would not recommend going aftermarket. As for rebuilding your brake booster, there are outfits that specialize in this.

I had my 64 rebuilt at a place in Ft. Lauderdale. I don't recall the name, but they were very professional and took care of me. You can go on the internet and Google "brake booster rebuild" and you should get a few such places.

There are shops and catalog stores out there who offer exchanges. You send them your core; they send you a rebuilt booster. Do THEY rebuild them? No indeed, they send them to these guys, then offer them in their catalog with a marked-up price. Catalog stores are wonderful, but you can go right to the source on this one.

Does anyone know if using a booster from a 63 galaxie will work? I looked at a diagram and it looks exactly the same. Also a smaller diameter on the booster will give more room in the bay. I have an issue with my valve covers not clearing the booster. Also they are way cheaper!

Back