1962 Convertible Top down - Trunk Lid clicks but, Won't Raise.

Dustysdad
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Convertible top is down and trunk lid lockdowns keep clicking but, trunk lid won't raise. Assume loss of fluid. How can I get trunk lid raised up far enough to add fluid so I can find the leak?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Clicking? Is it a relay click and then nothing happens? I have a 62 convertible. My clicking was the hold down bolts continuing to turn after the lid was released but the lid would not continue to open. My issue was a burnt melted blade connector on the relay that engages the hydraulic pump. I replaced the triangle relay connector and a new relay just for good measure.

Before you unbolt the hinges thru the floor you might access the relay bank by removing the back seat. Check the relay connections. Plug and unplug the two outside on the drivers side.

If you do unbolt the hinges thru the floor careful when you open the deck lid. I wasn’t and broke a couple of the hydraulic hoses on the deck lid cylinders. Brittle and they needed replacing anyway but it was a huge mess of hydraulic fluid.

Clicking? Is it a relay click and then nothing happens? I have a 62 convertible. My clicking was the hold down bolts continuing to turn after the lid was released but the lid would not continue to open. My issue was a burnt melted blade connector on the relay that engages the hydraulic pump. I replaced the triangle relay connector and a new relay just for good measure.

Before you unbolt the hinges thru the floor you might access the relay bank by removing the back seat. Check the relay connections. Plug and unplug the two outside on the drivers side.

If you do unbolt the hinges thru the floor careful when you open the deck lid. I wasn’t and broke a couple of the hydraulic hoses on the deck lid cylinders. Brittle and they needed replacing anyway but it was a huge mess of hydraulic fluid.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think, in my case, it's low on hydraulic fluid. When I put it down everything worked but, slooowly. I probably should have stopped while it was open and checked fluid but, didn't! Now I need to know how to raise the trunk lid manually so I can check fluid, refill and find leak. Opening the trunk lid is now my issue and how to do it. The hold down bolts do release and just click - Top doesn't raise.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think, in my case, it's low on hydraulic fluid. When I put it down everything worked but, slooowly. I probably should have stopped while it was open and checked fluid but, didn't! Now I need to know how to raise the trunk lid manually so I can check fluid, refill and find leak. Opening the trunk lid is now my issue and how to do it. The hold down bolts do release and just click - Top doesn't raise.
To open the deck lid you’ll be removing the 4 bolts holding down the deck lid cylinders. They’re accessible from underneath the car. There are access holes in the structural member that runs front to back under the trunk floor. I’m away from my garage at the moment but I’ll send you some pics in a little while.

I had the same issue with my 62 and I had 2 friends pul up on the lid as I had the switch pushed in the up position and it finally came up but I found the pump canister was filled with a black junk I cleaned it out filled and bleed now works fine

Convertible top is down and trunk lid lockdowns keep clicking but, trunk lid won't raise. Assume loss of fluid. How can I get trunk lid raised up far enough to add fluid so I can find the leak?
HI, If it is low on fluid you will be able to raise the deck with some help. I take a block of wood wrapped in a towel and wedge it in the deck opening then operate deck switch some more. If you keep doing this a number of times the deck should be able to be open far enough to access the pump. Other problem may be that the pump is not kicking in due to a burned pair of contacts in the deck open relay.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are low on fluid you should hear the pump turning. If the pump isn't turning it is not a fluid issue but an electrical issue.

Convertible top was working fine, then suddenly it wasn't. Its down, and when I push the button, it tries to raise, but it appears a latch or something is not releasing and allowing the front panel to move up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Convertible top was working fine, then suddenly it wasn't. Its down, and when I push the button, it tries to raise, but it appears a latch or something is not releasing and allowing the front panel to move up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Had same problem 1966 Test battery for available amperage and/or replace battery also attempt to raise with engine running as per owners manual Best of luck

If the screw latches are not relasing the in the wheel well there a bolt that holds the end where the screw latch go into remove that bolt on both sides and have a few friends help lift top up as you pressed the up switch it should catch and give enough access to get to pump check to see if loaded with crud .

Anyone have an issue with a bypass switch that you install to just "open the Deck" and the other button raises the deck? I installed it but both buttons are performing the same function, neither is opening the relay to open the deck.

I did learn how to basically hotwire back drivers seat relays to get the dude open when it wont open with the regular switch.

Anyone expereienced with the top is up and you push the button to lower it, it wont do anything, no clicking. but, when I got it hotwired and going, it works ok. Seems like it gets struck trying open the lid when the roof is up.

Back