1960 brake lights stay on

H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Brake lights stay on when car is hot. Changed switch- still happening! Would a heat shield for the m/c and switch help?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Brake lights stay on when car is hot. Changed switch- still happening! Would a heat shield for the m/c and switch help?
If you have a booster, could it be failing and pressurizing your brake system? does it free wheel easily when sifting into neutral when on the road? Could also be a chaffed wire grounding out.

What Ward said. When the Brake lights are on, take a wrench and open a brake bleed screw. If the light goes off you have a sticking cylinder or mal adjusted booster to master activating rod. Bottom line is your brakes are dragging.

I experienced a similar problem on my 60 Tbird, brake. lights stayed on only when engine is running, worked fine with engine off. So, I disconnected the vacuum line to the under dash P/B booster and that solved the problem. Still have to investigate if the brake rod adjustment is off causing the problem but the car stops like an old car with manual brakes and the lights work like hey should.

Back