1959 Stalling

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Several months ago i posted a thread about hesitation when accelerating from a standing start. I got some great answers from you all and it turned out my choke on my carter carb was too lean. The indentation mark on the choke cover was in the 2 o'clock position. I backed it off to the 12 o'clock position. I've driven it several times since and no hesitation anymore. The problem seemed to be solved.
Today, i took my car to a 4th July car show. i left early in the morning when it was cool and drove about 30 miles to the show. ran like a champ, not sputter or hesitation. but coming home around 4 o'clock in the afternoon with the temperature in the 90s it stalled twice when i accelerated from a red light and hesitated a few other times when i slowed to go around corners as well. So my question is could this be heat induced? I know the choke is correct and I'm fairly confident from previous trips it's not fuel starvation. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

@PaulB, you probably need to change the accelerator pump cup or clean the jets for the accelerator pump.

My 65 Mustang had the same issue, It was too much gas in the float bowl.

Several months ago i posted a thread about hesitation when accelerating from a standing start. I got some great answers from you all and it turned out my choke on my carter carb was too lean. The indentation mark on the choke cover was in the 2 o'clock position. I backed it off to the 12 o'clock position. I've driven it several times since and no hesitation anymore. The problem seemed to be solved.
Today, i took my car to a 4th July car show. i left early in the morning when it was cool and drove about 30 miles to the show. ran like a champ, not sputter or hesitation. but coming home around 4 o'clock in the afternoon with the temperature in the 90s it stalled twice when i accelerated from a red light and hesitated a few other times when i slowed to go around corners as well. So my question is could this be heat induced? I know the choke is correct and I'm fairly confident from previous trips it's not fuel starvation. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you.
Since the car ran like a champ in the cooler temperatures, but started stalling when it was above 90 degrees, it sounds like vapor lock. Here is where you can check to see where you can buy 100% gasoline in your area.

Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

If you're driving the car with the choke partially engaged there are other problems that need to be addressed.
The choke mechanism is (only) for helping the engine be easier to start & run when cold, not for 'adjusting' the mixture needed while driving at operating temperatures.
Accelerator pump, main jets, idle mixture adjustment, float levels, vacuum leaks, fuel flow/pressure, worn mechanical parts, etc. etc. should all be looked at.

Last edited:
Back