1959 gas tank replacement

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm getting ready to replace my gas tank. I changed the sending unit about a year ago because the gas gauge didn't work, and I found it completely rusted tight. Subsequently watching my fuel filter, it too was collecting rust and dirt. I've since replaced it. I even overhauled my carb which had rust in the bowl too which was giving me my hesitations from a standing start and occasional stall.
So now I'm finally getting around to replacing the fuel tank which I believe has a lot of rust and crud in it. My questions are I recently replaced my trunk liner and I'm hoping I won't have to cut into it to disconnect the sending unit before I drop the tank? Anyone have experience with that? I purchased a new tank and the fuel lines that go from tank to fuel pump and fuel pump to carburetor. I'm told not to replace my fuel pump unless absolutely necessary as the after market ones do not work as well. Thoughts on that or anything else? Thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back