1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Dismiss Notice

1957 thunderbird brake master cylinder upgrade

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by met-ski, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:21 PM.

1. Help! Has anyone upgraded the master cylinder on their early Tbird to a dual master cylinder? Ive seen many do the swap with disc brakes but I want to do it with the drum brakes.

2. HI,
    I used a new 1967 Mustang master cylinder for my '55 and it bolted right in. I even used the old push rod and the good part is with 4 drum's you won't need a proportioning valve...just an extra line for the rear side of the existing junction block.
    Good luck,

tbird likes this.
  3. For my 55 I used a a new 1967 Mustang master cylinder from Larry's Third. I used the old pushrod and had to make the extra line to the existing junction block...no proportioning valve needed with 4 drums! Just to be safe I completely rebuilt all 4 wheel brake systems including lines. OK

tbird likes this.
  4. i used the same on my 55 fairline and it worked great. it seems though that on the 57 that it will be to close to the exhaust manifold. was that the case with yours? I tried one and it was only a half and inch away. what did you do for the brake lines next to the battery?

tbird likes this.

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+1!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!