1957 thunderbird brake master cylinder upgrade

Help! Has anyone upgraded the master cylinder on their early Tbird to a dual master cylinder? Ive seen many do the swap with disc brakes but I want to do it with the drum brakes.
HI,
I used a new 1967 Mustang master cylinder for my '55 and it bolted right in. I even used the old push rod and the good part is with 4 drum's you won't need a proportioning valve...just an extra line for the rear side of the existing junction block.
Good luck,

For my 55 I used a a new 1967 Mustang master cylinder from Larry's Third. I used the old pushrod and had to make the extra line to the existing junction block...no proportioning valve needed with 4 drums! Just to be safe I completely rebuilt all 4 wheel brake systems including lines. OK

i used the same on my 55 fairline and it worked great. it seems though that on the 57 that it will be to close to the exhaust manifold. was that the case with yours? I tried one and it was only a half and inch away. what did you do for the brake lines next to the battery?

i used the same on my 55 fairline and it worked great. it seems though that on the 57 that it will be to close to the exhaust manifold. was that the case with yours? I tried one and it was only a half and inch away. what did you do for the brake lines next to the battery?

I bent them downward using a bender and slightly modified the battery shield to create more space.

I like the idea of using the dual master cylinder. My ‘57 has power brakes (haha). I have looked for part numbers to discover there are two. Are you using the master cylinder from the ‘67 Mustang for drum brakes on these conversions in conjunction with the brake booster in the ‘57 or the one for power disc brakes. I am really trying to keep the 4 drum brakes and not switch the fronts to disc. But, I’ve got to improve braking on this vehicle

I like the idea of using the dual master cylinder. My ‘57 has power brakes (haha). I have looked for part numbers to discover there are two. Are you using the master cylinder from the ‘67 Mustang for drum brakes on these conversions in conjunction with the brake booster in the ‘57 or the one for power disc brakes. I am really trying to keep the 4 drum brakes and not switch the fronts to disc. But, I’ve got to improve braking on this vehicle
Have you confirmed the booster is even working? There is another working thread on this subject.

Hi @Ward 57 , yes, booster is flat, vac gauge confirms 18” at idle. Drawing air thru the booster does nothing, blowing air thru barely makes a squeak and there is Zero pedal drop after pumping then starting the engin. The rebuild parts should be here Friday. I thinking…while it’s opened up, why not make the change. I have read numerous threads here about it. It would be nice to have the correct part that has been used successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you use an inline power brake booster that has one inlet on a dual output master cyl? I can't see that as being safely possible,

I know with discs in the front, the booster is plumbed into the front brakes only on many of the conversions I have seen. Don't know if feasible with drums on the front.

I would recommend using a Brake Proportioning Valve. You could use one like Casco's:
2B257K-Power.jpg

or a manual adjustable valve, like Wilwood Disc Brakes 260-10922 Proportioning Valve.

WIL-260-10922.jpg

MODERATOR NOTE: Please do not hot link to images. Download them and then attach and insert them into your message. Thanks. Corrected.

@Calistoga T-Bird … I am very new here but something tells me you have been around the T-Bird block a few times. Your comments have helped me immensely in just a few days. My motorcycle restorations have been in magazines and calendars. But those are NOTHING like a car…and I can’t bend down as easily any more ! ;). Thanks for the guidance

Thank you for enlightening me. I assume the Master that is being referred to is a disc-drum master?

Back