1957 TBird 312 Trans and Differential Fluids

BudP

BudP

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am the second owner of a '57 TBird with 48,000 original miles. The differential just started to leak. I intend to change the fluids in the differential and transmission. I have ordered the gasket for the differential and the gasket and filter for the transmission (automatic transmission). I cannot find the fluid capacities in the service manual for either the transmission or differential. Where might I find them for the future and can you tell me now what they are?

Additionally, what is a good substitute for ATF, Type A which is specified in the service manual.

Finally, the underside of the car is caked with old grease, mud, Zeibart rust proofing (it appears) and other stuff. I am intending to put the car up on jacks and use my gasoline power washer with a 30 degree nozzle to knock off the crud. Any cautions in doing this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am the second owner of a '57 TBird with 48,000 original miles. The differential just started to leak. I intend to change the fluids in the differential and transmission. I have ordered the gasket for the differential and the gasket and filter for the transmission (automatic transmission). I cannot find the fluid capacities in the service manual for either the transmission or differential. Where might I find them for the future and can you tell me now what they are?

Additionally, what is a good substitute for ATF, Type A which is specified in the service manual.

Finally, the underside of the car is caked with old grease, mud, Zeibart rust proofing (it appears) and other stuff. I am intending to put the car up on jacks and use my gasoline power washer with a 30 degree nozzle to knock off the crud. Any cautions in doing this?

If you look at page 1-83 of your shop manual You will see the amount of oil to be added to the carnkcase after an oil change.
Page 3-46 0f your shop manual gives the amount of lubricant for the differential.
As to the transmission. Modernly I would use type F or FA.

good luckJ.

J-Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Many thanks!

Cleaning the underside is one of those jobs I'd love to pass onto someone else mainly due to the mess on the drive!! Had too put plastic sheets everywhere and old towels to catch the floods when I did mine - so had to do it with a brush and engine cleaner. I've left quite a lot of the original coatings and basically took off the oil mess as the coatings have done a great job so far and didn't want to disturb it. On the suspension stuff, I have removed every part and cleaned / painted to fit new bushes etc. The front arms when so heavily filled with some sort of undercoating I had to chip it out!!

Back