1957 How many in service

poser
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, Question: How many 1957 Thunderbird E Models with 3-speed manual transmissions with overdrive
are still in existence. ?

Thank You Lee

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi, Question: How many 1957 Thunderbird E Models with 3-speed manual transmissions with overdrive
are still in existence. ?

Thank You Lee
My wife found something on the web that said there were 8000 55's still around.

My wife found something on the web that said there were 8000 55's still around.
There is no where near 8,000 of the 1955 Thunderbirds "around". Yes they do have a high survival rate, but there are less than 4,000 of them registered at www.tbird.info as being "intact". And that is based on owner input. Yes there are a lot but not 8,000.

Regarding the 3-speed 1957 cars. they were low production to begin with, and being that they were 292 cars and 3-speed means they do not have a high survival rate. Currently there are 260 of them in the registry, of which 238 are in existence - per owner. But keep in mind this is not some legal authority... it is all based on owner input. There is no place on earth, or your wife's internet experience, that can tell you exactly how many of any car exists. Unless of course you have some kind of super human power to scan every location on earth.

I have spent 22 years developing the Thunderbird Registry website, so why don't people use it to get the answers to their questions It's all there free for everyone.
Untitled1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not aware of your registry. I'll have to get mine registered... gotta go write down the vin or check the reg?
It's good to have it registered for several reasons. Researchers have more info and you know how it fits in on the production run.

There is no where near 8,000 of the 1955 Thunderbirds "around".
so why don't people use it to get the answers to their questions It's all there free for everyone.
I was not aware of your registry. I'll have to get mine registered... gotta go write down the vin or check the reg?
@TBR
Since you asked, as you can see above, people can't find your website for various reasons (no SSL, Not mobile-friendly, etc). Since this is the case, the fact you have 4,000 registered could mean thousands more out there have not registered on your website. Not everyone uses the internet or cares about registering their car. There are over 600 million people in North America alone, many of whom have never heard of your registry or considered registering their cars. The fact is, you have no idea how many are out there, it could very well be 8,000 or even more! When I travel, I see areas that are stacked full of old cars in rural America.

There is no where near 8,000 of the 1955 Thunderbirds "around". Yes they do have a high survival rate, but there are less than 4,000 of them registered at www.tbird.info as being "intact". And that is based on owner input. Yes there are a lot but not 8,000.

Regarding the 3-speed 1957 cars. they were low production to begin with, and being that they were 292 cars and 3-speed means they do not have a high survival rate. Currently there are 260 of them in the registry, of which 238 are in existence - per owner. But keep in mind this is not some legal authority... it is all based on owner input. There is no place on earth, or your wife's internet experience, that can tell you exactly how many of any car exists. Unless of course you have some kind of super human power to scan every location on earth.

I have spent 22 years developing the Thunderbird Registry website, so why don't people use it to get the answers to their questions It's all there free for everyone.
View attachment 27898
Never heard of this site so I'm sure a lot of others haven't either. She had found something that was referring to cars that were licensed in the US i believe.

I don't know, maybe because it doesn't work very well? The advanced search function, e.g., is atrocious.

I ran this by Dave Tulowitzky. He’s been keeping track of 55-57 birds for decades. His data base shows 448 manual 1957 E Birds. Of these, 33 have transmission code #2 (OD). That’s about 7%. Again, that is taken only from those owners who have registered with him over the years.

Never heard of this site so I'm sure a lot of others haven't either. She had found something that was referring to cars that were licensed in the US i believe.
I registered mine today. i realized after reading that mine is the 186th one produced. the first
1000 club.

I registered mine today. i realized after reading that mine is the 186th one produced. the first
1000 club.
I found out my '57 was also a very early build. Built 4 weeks in the mixed build cycle #5343. I don't know how to find how many T-Birds and when were built in those 4 weeks.

For a car that had a limited production run and limited sales numbers there seem to be a lot of gen 1 T-Birds around and it also seems like there are a lot of them changing hands every year. Does anyone have an idea what those numbers are?
Thanks!

For a car that had a limited production run and limited sales numbers there seem to be a lot of gen 1 T-Birds around and it also seems like there are a lot of them changing hands every year.
It was a hot seller and blew away Corvette sales which is why the Corvettes bring more money. Supply/Demand.

I merged your post as this was already asked recently.

It appears there were 53k produced over the first three years and it seems like half of them are still around. Pretty amazing actually.

Back