1957 Headlight Switch Removal

Rogvh

Rogvh

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Headlight switch on my 1957 came loose from the dash. I can't get the knob/shaft to pull out to reinstall. I've pushed the release button so many times that my finger has become numb. I have the knob/shaft pushed in first per the shop manual but catches and won't release. The switch is about a year old. Any tricks to get it to pull out?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Recently had the same problem w/my new switch. I had to slowly turn the knob while I depressed the little release button. I would start from left to right, the shaft has a flat spot on it has to lined up probably with the button to release. I've removed probably 100 of these switches and this is the 1st time I had trouble.

Sometimes it helps to push in when the button is depressed before you pull it out.

Tried both of the above to no avail. Will try again when my finger has feeling.........

After trying all the suggestions both above and since, I really didn't want to deal with the T-Bird so left it sit. Since time is flying and Spring will be here before long, I'm back on it. Talked to CASCO's shop manager Shawn and concluded I will have to cut the knob's shaft. Did so and got the switch out. Put it in my vice and jiggled in every position and got the shaft out with pliers while pushing the button with a more comfortable drift. The knob/shaft has to be original as there were wear grooves in the shank. I went to NPD as it's close by and bught a new knob/shaft which had CASCO's name on it. Thinking my problem is gone I first tried it in the switch in the vice and it pulled to the various positions. BUT, in measuring the length, it is too short to engage the "button catch" when accounting for the dash thickness. Tried to compare it to the cut original, allowing for the cut and was the same. Has anyone installed a CASCO knob/shaft in a new switch (made or labled Dennis Carpenter)? I really would like to make this a night as well as a daytime driver.lol

After trying all the suggestions both above and since, I really didn't want to deal with the T-Bird so left it sit. Since time is flying and Spring will be here before long, I'm back on it. Talked to CASCO's shop manager Shawn and concluded I will have to cut the knob's shaft. Did so and got the switch out. Put it in my vice and jiggled in every position and got the shaft out with pliers while pushing the button with a more comfortable drift. The knob/shaft has to be original as there were wear grooves in the shank. I went to NPD as it's close by and bught a new knob/shaft which had CASCO's name on it. Thinking my problem is gone I first tried it in the switch in the vice and it pulled to the various positions. BUT, in measuring the length, it is too short to engage the "button catch" when accounting for the dash thickness. Tried to compare it to the cut original, allowing for the cut and was the same. Has anyone installed a CASCO knob/shaft in a new switch (made or labled Dennis Carpenter)? I really would like to make this a night as well as a daytime driver.lol
Since the shaft appeared to be the same length and not noticing any other wrong dimension, I decided to try to modify it. It took two cuts in my lathe on the bottom of the knob to "lengthen" the shaft portion. It now catches within the switch so works. Fortunately, it isn't noticable. The worst part is how much time I spent when it should have been quick and easy. I now wonder if the repro really wasn't the same length as the original as it was difficult to measure the combined two cut lengths?

Back