1957 clock basil and glass removal

Douglemmo

Douglemmo

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I easily removed the chrome basil and face glass from the Tach, Temp and Fuel gages to clean and repaint the needles, However when I removed the chrome basil on the clock, the metal ring, gasket and glass did not come out with it unlike the other gages. Also, the knurled knob on the stem which sets the clock, will not unscrew off the end of the stem ( should it unscrew?) which would need to come off if I am to remove the glass gage face so that I can get at the clock hands to paint them. Does the whole clock have to come out for me to get at the clock hands? I really do not want to have to get under the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, you have to remove the clock. It's all one piece. It's held in with 3 screws. There is a gasket between it and the dash panel that tends to stick but it will come out. Once out it can be taken apart in 2 parts. A pair of needle nose pliers to hold the stem and then the knob will unscrew counter clockwise.

Back