1957 Carb tube connection

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It's supposed to connect to the "stove". I think on 57's it connected to the intake manifold just below the carburetor. One mine there is (was) a small hole there to stick it in. Mine has been converted to electric choke and the hole in the manifold plugged and that tube removed. In you photo that hole should be where the red paint has turned black below the carb. The carb pulls a very small almount of vacuum thru the choke housing which pulls hot air thru that tube to heat up the bimetallic choke spring. If you go to electric I don't know if you are supposed to block off where that tube connects to the chock housing or leave it open. I capped mine with a rubber cap with a small hole in the end and put some foam inside the cap to act as a filter so a little bit of air could be drawn into the choke housing so the electric element would be a little less likely to overheat.

There is a hole under the top of the carb that this connects. Looks like you are missing the connector tube. It is just a vacuum line for the choke to operate properly.

Attachments

• AutomaticChoke.jpg
    AutomaticChoke.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
If you notice in the dark area of your intake manifold under the carburetor, there is a hole. That hole is where that elbow mounts. it does not have to fit tight, as there is no problem if there is a little seepage. This is the exhaust cross over are of the intake manifold. There is a tube in there that probably should be replaced if you are getting any exhaust gas coming from that area. They last a long time, so you should get 20-25 years out of the tube if your replace it. They used to sell for about 10-12 bucks but they are closer to 20 now. If it were my car, I would remove the intake manifold, knock the tube out and put a new one and a new mushroom on the other side of the manifold. The tube, mushroom and a set of gaskets will run you in the $50-60 range and will solve the problem of the tube leaking exhaust, which will damage the choke mechanism.

Here is how it works, There is a heat riser valve located on the left side of the engine between the exhaust manifold and the header pipe of the exhaust system. The valve is operated by a bimetal spring that keeps the valve closed when the engine is cold. This then forces the exhaust to flow through the intake manifold, under the carburetor to warm the carburetor to allow the gasoline to vaporize better. There is a tube that goes through that passage and when installed correctly, it seals any exhaust leak. There is a slight vacuum provided by the carburetor that draws air up into the choke area. The elbow in your photo is supposed to attach to the pipe in the manifold and it then draws air into the choke to warm it. Once the engine warms up, the heat riser will open and most of the exhaust will then flow out through the exhaust pipes and no longer through that passage way. There is always some that is in there, but at a much lesser extent than when the valve is closed. If you bring the system back to factory spec, you will have a much better running car, especially when cold.

When you buy the intake gaskets, get the ones for the truck engine, as they have just a small hole in the crossover area and will not darken your engine paint on the manifold as much.

Vacuum tube which should go to the timing advance of the original distributor.

Back