1957 Automatic no reverse after service

Oldhog
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1957 Fordomatic , I changed the shift seals, filter and new fluid (once it was back in car). Now I finally started it and I have no reverse . and shifter will not go all the way down to Lo , stops at Dr. There is adjustment on the shift rod, I have tried adjusting it but does not help. I can shift the shift lever on the trans. by hand, seems like only 4 positions not 5. not sure what the problem is... Any advice is appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since the shifter shifter will not go all the way down to low and stops at drive, I would suspect that the manual valve is not aligned with the actuating pin in the manual detent lever.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

1957 Fordomatic , I changed the shift seals, filter and new fluid (once it was back in car). Now I finally started it and I have no reverse . and shifter will not go all the way down to Lo , stops at Dr. There is adjustment on the shift rod, I have tried adjusting it but does not help. I can shift the shift lever on the trans. by hand, seems like only 4 positions not 5. not sure what the problem is... Any advice is appreciated.
the last time I installed my tranny, I had the speedo mechanism turned in such a way that it interfered with the shift linkage. the threaded adjuster was hitting the gear housing, turned the housing a little bit and all was good

Back