1956 VIN plate authenticity

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hi all. I was hoping to get a little feedback on a purchase I am considering. I'm looking at an out-of-town purchase of a '56 T-bird and closing in on an agreed price. I have a wrench lined up to do an inspection if we can agree on a price but there is one thing in the photos the owner sent that troubles me. I have a little experience with older Fords but I haven't dabbled in anything like this for years. What troubles me is that the picture of the VIN plate appears way out of register. The black background is crooked, the production code doesn't line up and the upainted area it is supposed to appear in isn't rectangular as it should be. Is this something that should concern me? My thinking is that someone trying to surreptitiously trying to duplicate a plate for evil intent would do a more careful job. This car has been with the same owner for 20 years and supposedly the previous owner for a similar time. Its a 292/3-speed, no PS/PB, hardtop in clean original condition showing 45k miles
PXL_20210328_031635775.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi all. I was hoping to get a little feedback on a purchase I am considering. I'm looking at an out-of-town purchase of a '56 T-bird and closing in on an agreed price. I have a wrench lined up to do an inspection if we can agree on a price but there is one thing in the photos the owner sent that troubles me. I have a little experience with older Fords but I haven't dabbled in anything like this for years. What troubles me is that the picture of the VIN plate appears way out of register. The black background is crooked, the production code doesn't line up and the upainted area it is supposed to appear in isn't rectangular as it should be. Is this something that should concern me? My thinking is that someone trying to surreptitiously trying to duplicate a plate for evil intent would do a more careful job. This car has been with the same owner for 20 years and supposedly the previous owner for a similar time. Its a 292/3-speed, no PS/PB, hardtop in clean original condition showing 45k miles
Interesting photo. mention this to the inspector. Is the car not withing driving distance of you to see it 1st hand? The title has the vin number and has to match. Good luck and post the final outcome.

( trying to surreptitiously trying to duplicate a plate for evil intent ) Seller is going to have trouble.

Hi, before I purchased my 57 I considered a couple of well-priced alternates, out of town. One deal was so good and his brother was in the shipping business so I could get a great deal and fast. After a bunch of pictures and emails the hair went up on the back of my neck and I shut him down. I decided then and there that I would only purchase a car in person and have a flatbed with me. I checked the car out for myself, I'm not a mechanic but I'm also not a moron. I drove it and checked it over, met and liked the owner. I brought the car and made the 100-mile trip, with the car, home. I knew all sellers are not completely forthcoming and I had to fix this and that but it's 60+ years old and I made the right choice.

The black portion of the VIN plate is being reproduced and is available from T-bird parts vendors. It deteriorates with age. More than likely, it was not applied very well. The label/sticker is separate from the VIN, which is stamped into the plate. The actual VIN and rivets do not look suspect to me.

Looking at the label/sticker, again, I can clearly see that it's crooked, being lower on the right side and obscuring the top of the VIN on the right side. Remove it, buy another, and make sure it's centered.

The vin is also stamped on the frame in a couple areas. The easiest to find is at the right front fender in the engine bay. Mine is just under the widest area of the inner fender. If it matches the title. I wouldn't be concerned at all. 20210328_115319.jpg20210328_115334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Without the ability to do a better visual inspection it appears that there are some wrinkles. That and the way the black coloring is irregular make me think a readily available decal has been applied. This is probably not a worry.

Please follow the posting directions for future posts. "Hello! First-timer question"
Does not summarize your post or contain the model year(s). Nearly every post is a question. This has been changed to 1956 VIN plate authenticity .

12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

Attachments

• 12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg
    12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Agree with others on poor application of background decal.
I would ask seller to sand off area on frame where vin is stamped and provide good quality photo of area so that it can be matched against vin tag in firewall. Good luck. most likely not an issue at all.

I wouldn't sand the frame either, the numbers are stamped. I would use steel brush and some degreaser on the section of the frame to find the numbers

It could be just a misplaced decal. I tried to put a new one on my data plate but had a devil of a time lining up. But now the original is showing through so the patent numbers are doubled and blurry. May have to strip it all off and start over. Any non damaging ways to strip the plate down to natural?

Lacquer thinner may do the job, but be very careful with the painted area around it.

It could be just a misplaced decal. I tried to put a new one on my data plate but had a devil of a time lining up. But now the original is showing through so the patent numbers are doubled and blurry. May have to strip it all off and start over. Any non damaging ways to strip the plate down to natural?

Hair dryer might be the least invasive way to start or a heat gun if you have one.

I would like to know where i can get another vin plate and decals for the numbers. I cant believe it but I lost mine when it was removed to restore the body and paint work. Advise is appreciated. My vin numberts are clear on the frame and have DMV papers showing family ownership going back to1960 now inmy name for 35 years so now funny business here. I know about having the vin verified by chp but then what??

The vin is also stamped on the frame in a couple areas. The easiest to find is at the right front fender in the engine bay.
Attached is an article from the January/February Early Bird magazine which explains the location of the serial numbers on the frame.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Location of the Serial Numbers on the Frame.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 2
Keep in mind the data plate you are looking at is for warranty purpose. The true vin numbers are stamped directly into the frame and body.
If you're concerned about legitimate paperwork on the car just ask for pictures of the frame and body stampings and compare.
I would not worry about the warranty plate, or use it for verification.

Back