1956 power steering change

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject on future posts. Thank you for posting.
model-year-TBF.jpg

can I change an original power steering unit on my 1956 thunderbird with a 312 cu. inch engine and change it to a rack and pinion steering unit? how expensive would this be ? Should I just rebuild the power steering unit, or replace it?
Yes you can buy a rack set up. FLaming River sells kits that will hook to your original column or you can change out the steering column with their kits. They range on price from $3500 to $4000. It's a bolt in change out. If you are comfortable rebuilding your original and you have the tools that would, of course, be the most economical solution. If you buy replacements it will bolt right in. Cost would be more than you rebuilding your own but less than changing to rack and pinion set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rebuilt the power steering cylinder on my 56 TB but didn't work. I read some where that there is an aftermarket rack and pinion setup that will go in without too much difficulty.
Is anyone familiar with this swap and where to get it?
Thanks Jeff

I rebuilt the power steering cylinder on my 56 TB but didn't work. I read some where that there is an aftermarket rack and pinion setup that will go in without too much difficulty.
Is anyone familiar with this swap and where to get it?
Thanks Jeff
See post above. This is it-

I installed the Unisteer R & P. See the thread below. There is a lot of discussion on the subject.

Good luck,
Steve

Back