1956 missing VIN plate

Rick Dawsey

Rick Dawsey

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My friend's new (to him) 1956 Bird has no VIN plates, but he has the original buyers order (attached) and a 25 year old title. Can someone help us find the production code and trim code so he can have a new plate made?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Rick

Attachments

• Resized_20240306_142944.pdf
    670.6 KB · Views: 40

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think you have everything you need. Let's see...

Dataplate_55-57-6.gif

So, working from the invoice:
Serial No. P6FH 230518
Body 40A (we know this, since it's a Thunderbird)
Color A
Trim not shown on the invoice, but probably Black and White, or XA

Production Code probably 27BBX201
(27th day of Feb, BX dealer code [New York], 201st automobile for the day; the whole string is in the field "Item Number" on the invoice).

And there you have it

26FH 230518
40A A XA 27BBX201

Last edited:
Any idea why the plate is missing? Are the rivets or holes still there on the firewall? Does the sn match engine or frame?

Using your title, you can have a duplicate VIN tag made for the vehicle

I had a duplicate tag made by Marti here's their web site:

My friend's new (to him) 1956 Bird has no VIN plates, but he has the original buyers order (attached) and a 25 year old title. Can someone help us find the production code and trim code so he can have a new plate made?
Rick
Looking at my invoice my car was on the same assembly line that date and year

Attachments

• Invoice Found.jpg
    Invoice Found.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 8
Rick
I’ll admit to being the suspicious type when presented with a situation like this, but the first thing I’d do is verify the VIN stamped on the frame rail under the heater plenum matches the title. It wouldn’t be the first time a stolen collector car was sold under bogus paperwork. I hope I’m wrong but it pays to be careful.

Any idea why the plate is missing? Are the rivets or holes still there on the firewall? Does the sn match engine or frame?
No idea why it is missing. My best guess is that some painter in a previous day took them off and never put them back. The car's history and retention of old paperwork persuades me it is not a stolen car, which is always a concern.

No idea why it is missing. My best guess is that some painter in a previous day took them off and never put them back. The car's history and retention of old paperwork persuades me it is not a stolen car, which is always a concern.
Without the vin plate you have no history of the car.
The paperwork could be for some rusted out hulk laying behind a barn.

No idea why it is missing. My best guess is some painter in a previous day took them off and never put them back. The car's history and retention of old paperwork persuades me it is not a stolen car, which is always a concern.
Yeah like Rick mentioned check the vin on the frame rail.

I’ll admit to being the suspicious type when presented with a situation like this, but the first thing I’d do is verify the VIN stamped on the frame rail under the heater plenum matches the title. It wouldn’t be the first time a stolen collector car was sold under bogus paperwork. I hope I’m wrong but it pays to be careful.
Can you access that location without removing the body? If so, can you point me to how to locate it?
Thanks, Rick

The serial number that matches the number on the patent plate is stamped on the frame in three places, only one of which is easily available to view. The easily viewed one is on top of the frame on the passenger side underneath the heater box. It is about opposite the middle of the engine. It is not normally stamped that deeply into the metal and you may have to use some paint remover to see it.

Can you access that location without removing the body? If so, can you point me to how to locate it?
Thanks, Rick
Here are the serial number locations on the frame. The body has to be removed to view the serial number on the top of the rear cross member and the one on the top of the X frame. The serial number on the top of the right frame side member is visible with the hood open.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

VIN Number Locations on the Frame.JPG

Without the vin plate you have no history of the car.
The paperwork could be for some rusted out hulk laying behind a barn.
As this thread shows, even *with* a data plate, you can't guarantee the history, as data plates can simply be replaced at will. The stamped numbers on the frame, however, would be much more difficult to change/forge.

The serial number that matches the number on the patent plate is stamped on the frame in three places, only one of which is easily available to view. The easily viewed one is on top of the frame on the passenger side underneath the heater box. It is about opposite the middle of the engine. It is not normally stamped that deeply into the metal and you may have to use some paint remover to see it.
I went to look for this on mine, and found it *baaaaarely* visible and only with the right angle of lighting, but it's there! Probably so hard to see because of the painting during the full frame-off restoration.

Back