1956 Leaf Spring ; Replace or Re-Arc?

knuckle47

knuckle47

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Those who have had experiences with spring rebuilders: do they re-arc these springs with the correct parts and pieces, anti squeak stuff, straps, etc.?
Did you need to provide them with the proper re-build pieces?

Of course, I’ll need to make a few calls and see where this goes however, your previous experience could be very helpful to reduce the chances of disappointment with the job.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have had springs re-arched and most shops will just use parts that they have on hand. If you want them done with the original pads you can bring the parts to them. I usually have them arch the springs then I reassemble myself. I get them power coated after I have them arched.

Thanks in advance as I begin the process of refreshing her little gem.
Replaced the leaf springs in my 61 last year. Obvious signs but now I am working on refreshing a 56.
It looks like it sits low in the rear. The bushs were probably replaced about 10 years ago during a partial resto.
But the rear leafs may or may not be original. Not sure fresh iron will improve the stance.

Is there a definitive test for the rear leaf springs ? Tempted to just install some air shocks to elevate the two inches in the rear.

BTW This one has the continental kit and original 1/2 front sway bar, thinking of replacing front and rear with 7/8 sway bars for a bit more modern handling.
Phil in Tn
Hello Can anyone tell me the correct measurement of a 1956 T bird leaf spring. I think the previous owner had the springs re arced and they are too high. I can hardly push the rear end down at all. M Lewis

Having dealt with classic car springs more than once I would buy new from these folks:

Not a big fan of most shops who rearch springs as they often just pound them into shape without proper hardening and other annealing that should be done. Proper re-arching is a pretty tedious process if done right - as per this article. it concerns vintage Chevy springs but it applies to all leaf springs. Read about rearching at the bottom of the second page.

Attachments

• Eaton_Spring.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@Frankie the Fink convincing article. As I look into the requirement for the ‘56, the option is also for a 1” , 2” or 3” higher arc than stock height. I was thinking to go 1” over stock height in The rear and maintain the front as stock height. Do you, or anyone, see anything wrong in doing something along these lines?

I don't think it would be a problem, but might give the car a slight "rake" but that may be what you're going for. A call to Eaton Springs or advice from other vintage T-bird owners might be welcome - I don't really have experience with Fords of this age.

I had my new springs re-arched locally for 1 1/2" lift, providing plenty of room for 215/70R 15 tires on 7-inch wide wheels/w 3.875" backspacing on my 55. If you can buy new springs/w increased lift, that's the way to go. Save some money, time, and labor by not doing it twice.

After I finally got my car on the road many years ago I had the rear springs re-arched. they said they also added a small leaf. A little hard ride on the rear but sits at the correct Hight. Too high and I would think the rear would wiggle too much.

Those who have had experiences with spring rebuilders: do they re-arc these springs with the correct parts and pieces, anti squeak stuff, straps, etc.?

Of course, I’ll need to make a few calls and see where this goes however, your previous experience could be very helpful to reduce the chances of disappointment with the job.
Replace in my opinion. I just did mine last week. Springs less then 400.00. Not even 10 miles on the car so they have not quite settled yet but what a difference in ride and stance. They were the originals so those front bolts, well honestly were hell to get out. But worth it. I’ll up load before and after pics.

Replace in my opinion. I just did mine last week. Springs less then 400.00. Not even 10 miles on the car so they have not quite settled yet but what a difference in ride and stance. They were the originals so those front bolts, well honestly were hell to get out. But worth it. I’ll up load before and after pics.

Attachments

• B4387BC8-4721-453C-B6AC-FBC6D1CDE118.jpeg
    B4387BC8-4721-453C-B6AC-FBC6D1CDE118.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • FBE6DF46-1D41-4B1D-AA13-DE112C71BDE0.jpeg
    FBE6DF46-1D41-4B1D-AA13-DE112C71BDE0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 49A95406-5853-44A2-B580-CA4BCDE66693.jpeg
    49A95406-5853-44A2-B580-CA4BCDE66693.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 8EA09D7C-0F0A-46A4-BB72-CC74B910F277.jpeg
    8EA09D7C-0F0A-46A4-BB72-CC74B910F277.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 9
Eaton makes the best if you want quality. They can make them how you like, stock height, 1", 2" drop etc. They will take all you vehicle info and weight to give you what you are looking for

I have had great luck with re-arched springs. I usually take the spring off Have the spring shop arch the springs, then take them to a powder coater and have them finished. I reassemble the springs and I purchase the spring anti squeak pads between the spring ends with ones from Mac's. As far as I know, they are the only ones that sell the impregnated burlap anti squeak pads that are like the original.

I have had great luck with re-arched springs. I usually take the spring off Have the spring shop arch the springs, then take them to a powder coater and have them finished. I reassemble the springs and I purchase the spring anti squeak pads between the spring ends with ones from Mac's. As far as I know, they are the only ones that sell the impregnated burlap anti squeak pads that are like the original.
I had my springs re-arched many years ago. They said when done they added an extra leaf. Sits at perfect Hight but I can feel the road in my butt vs the soft ride originally. Been so long I wouldn't know the difference but no tail wag or leaning on corners.

Don't fool around with "rebuilt" springs. Go with brand new factory-spec springs from Eaton Springs. Look them up on the internet. Reasonably priced direct replacements.

Back