1956 hubcaps turning on the rims

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Since changing to Coker classic bias look radials I've been having an issue with my hubcaps turning on the rims. The hubcaps rotate causing the valve stems to get cocked. I'm worried I'll eventually have a valve stem failure. Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Who installed the caps on the rims? There shouldn’t be any difference on the rims what tires you have. Are all 4 doing this? Could be that the installer didn’t know how to reattach the hubcaps or maybe bent the grab tabs for easer installation??? Can you spin them by hand? Normally they are difficult to put on and require a hubcap mallet.

Several people have commented on this after installing radials. Some line the wheel with silicone to help "glue " the wheel cover in place, I bent the fingers to bide into the wheel better. Also make sure the wheel weights aren't interfering with the wheel cover. some are wider than others. Have them mount the weights on the inside, It's harder to do when on the balancing machine so they almost always mount them on the outside.

Interesting point, my weights are on the inside and my caps have never moved with my Coker radials?

I have the same problem on my 53 Custom liner with the Moon hubcaps.....On my 56 I have the extended air values I never had a problem with the outer hubcap trim moving....Go figure !

Basically, the wheels were designed to flex a bit with bias ply tires. Changing to radials and they flex more and causes some issues. I can count the times I've had to chase an errant wheel cover.
I've found tightening the fingers really helped. I don't need to walk around kicking the wheel covers in any more. Especially the fronts as they get the worst of the flex.

Back