1956 Grille top mounting method/fastener

FERENC
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good day to all,
Doing repairs on my '56 and have come upon an item that I could use some information on.
The grille was only attached at the bottom, to both the lower grille opening molding and then through the front gravel pan, as well as on the Left & right side ends...
There were no fasteners at the top - it was vertical and the top tucked into the front reinforcement bar behind the header panel..
However, on the reinforcement bar, at app. 30 or so degrees downward on the bar flange towards the rear of the car - there are box nuts, that do line up with the holes on the top grille flange.
How does the top of the grille fasten ? - if so - to the reinforcement bar - is there another angled bracket? A bit stymied here
Thanks inf advance for the help & discussion.
Image for a bit of reference.
?

TBIRD_GRILLE-TO-BAR_QUESTION.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good day to all,
Doing repairs on my '56 and have come upon an item that I could use some information on.
The grille was only attached at the bottom, to both the lower grille opening molding and then through the front gravel pan, as well as on the Left & right side ends...
There were no fasteners at the top - it was vertical and the top tucked into the front reinforcement bar behind the header panel..
However, on the reinforcement bar, at app. 30 or so degrees downward on the bar flange towards the rear of the car - there are box nuts, that do line up with the holes on the top grille flange.
How does the top of the grille fasten ? - if so - to the reinforcement bar - is there another angled bracket? A bit stymied here
Thanks inf advance for the help & discussion.
Image for a bit of reference.
?

View attachment 27924
At least on my '57 the top is mounted to the cross bar just behind the chrome surround with standard hex head bolts. I pulled all that off many years ago before sending it off for a complete repaint. easy access.

Hi there
That's how it looks to me that it should be fastened ... I can't figure what the welded on nuts on the crossbar as you called it, would be for, especially given the angle they are at.
Appreciate you answering.
Thanks

Hi there
That's how it looks to me that it should be fastened ... I can't figure what the welded on nuts on the crossbar as you called it, would be for, especially given the angle they are at.
Appreciate you answering.
Thanks
The grill should mount to the front of the cross bar and the holes should line up so you can run bolts through the grill and then into the welded nuts behind.

Guess I need to polish the top rail of my grill ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Aha... now this is starting to make some sense to me, as the profile of the grille on your '55 shows the flange at an angle...
I am now fair sure the grille in my vehicle had been replace with a '57 unit, as it does not have the angled flange, which would/does make
sense to mount to the angled crossbar -- with the top grille surrounding T-bolts then going thru the header panel sheet metal
I appreciate you taking the time to snap an image and send it on.
Thanks you

Ouch, Looks like it has been punched in the front. just checked and CASCO has a '55-'56 grill # 8200A for $320.

It took a bit of a hit :( ... thanks for the response

Back