1956 engine turnning mismatch between doors and dash

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Why does it seem that so many baby birds suffer from the same mismatch of the aluminum trim on the doors and the dash.. the doors look like they fit OK and the door cards seem to be installed correctly.
Have others noticed this or is it just me.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Why does it seem that so many baby birds suffer from the same mismatch of the aluminum trim on the doors and the dash.. the doors look like they fit OK and the door cards seem to be installed correctly.
I think you are over critical. NOTHING was perfect on these cars. The interior colors matching, the door fit etc.. This was Fords first attempt at one-piece bodies and were a work in progress. Each car ended up having it's own personality even though mass produced.

I think you may have misinterpreted my question. I'm not being critical, we love our 56 and am just trying to get to know it better.
I can't do it right now but I'll try to get a picture of what I'm referring to later and post it to show what I'm talking about.

Is this what you are referring to?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

000_1981.JPG

That's exactly what I was talking about only on my car It's more pronounced, I'm impressed at how well your glove box door aligns with the trim on the dashboard as well. My thoughts are that with winter coming this is a great time to get into that and maybe get my power windows working a little better.

Is this what you are referring to?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 29726
The door panel is too far back. It should be flush with the front of the door. Not too difficult to pull off and adjust the spring clips that hold it to the door. Looks like the kick panel is also too far forward. The glove box hinges can be adjusted.
My arm rest butts directly up against the dash so there is no gap whatsoever.

Last edited:
Just for reference this is what it should look like. Yes I know the colors are a little off but will address that in the spring now that I have a proper can of colonial white to touch it up.
20231104_103603[1].jpg

The door panel is too far back. It should be flush with the front of the door. Not too difficult to pull off and adjust the spring clips that hold it to the door. Looks like the kick panel is also too far forward. The glove box hinges can be adjusted.
My arm rest butts directly up against the dash so there is no gap whatsoever.
Ward,

The photo I sent was before the repairs were made.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ward,

The photo I sent was before the repairs were made.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I also realized I have to tidy up the dash cover. I had it installed 40yrs ago and does not fit perfectly especially around the glove box latch. I had a body shop do the work and in retrospect should have had a specialty or interior shop do the work. The wind welt also makes a difference in filling the gap.

That’s why I say half the fun of owning a classic car is doing the work yourself.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

That is the way they came from the factory. Some are worse than others but none I have seen match up perfectly. The fit and finish of the interior of the first-generation Mustang is definitely better than the early T-Bird.

Back