1956 electrical short in steering wheel-Horn

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have owned my 1956 for only 2 years. In that time, I never was able to get the telescopic steering wheel to budge. Today I was driving and hit a pothole. The steering wheel slid back towards me an inch or so. When it did, there was a small electrical spark. I pulled over and noticed wires were exposed on the top of the steering column and one of them, the casing was off and the wire was exposed. I assume that is where the spark came from. The previous owner had said he disconnected the horn because it had a short that he couldn't find. I assume I found it. I had some electrical tape and wrapped the wire and pushed the steering wheel back into position and drove home. No more issues. The question is, I want to fix the problem correctly. Are those wires for the horn? How would I go about replacing the bad wire? Should those wires have been exposed when the steering column pulled out? Thanks for any input that anyone might have.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have owned my 1956 for only 2 years. In that time, I never was able to get the telescopic steering wheel to budge. Today I was driving and hit a pothole. The steering wheel slid back towards me an inch or so. When it did, there was a small electrical spark. I pulled over and noticed wires were exposed on the top of the steering column and one of them, the casing was off and the wire was exposed. I assume that is where the spark came from. The previous owner had said he disconnected the horn because it had a short that he couldn't find. I assume I found it. I had some electrical tape and wrapped the wire and pushed the steering wheel back into position and drove home. No more issues. The question is, I want to fix the problem correctly. Are those wires for the horn? How would I go about replacing the bad wire? Should those wires have been exposed when the steering column pulled out? Thanks for any input that anyone might have.
I've had my '55 horn ring all apart and there is only one wire up the canter of the steering column from the horn relay under the hood on the left front fender area. The chrome shroud/collar on the column screws CW & CCW to allow the steering wheel to move forward or back. You have to twist the collar to lock the wheel in place or it can move on it's own like yours did.

Last edited:
Those other wires are for the directional signal switch…if I remember, there are 5 or 7… they pass thru a guard in the hub and exit the area under the dash to a junction box

I'd be concerned that if the steering column pulled out enough that you could see wires you need to go a bit deeper than just shoving it back together. I'm not familiar with what holds what in place but one of my concerns would be that it wasn't the telescoping mechanism that moved but that it was the steering shaft itself that was pulled up. I would think there is something that is supposed to keep that from happening... like a keeper on a shaft bearing or something.

There is a column set screw that should have been there to avoid just what happen.Did you check to see what other damage was done. Did you try the horn, the turning signals. You will need the shop manual from Concours parts, Or Casco.

Attachments

• Collum Screw.jpg
    Collum Screw.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 9
I should add that loosening the set screw will allow you to unscrew the column lock and once you slide it away< on the 7-8 o’clock position on the lower left is a slot maybe 3” long that has another screw in the slot to keep the travel of the column to those limits. The horn wire could be chafed but is an easy replacement
IMG_6275.jpegIMG_6212.jpegIMG_6272.jpeg

Those other wires are for the directional signal switch…if I remember, there are 5 or 7… they pass thru a guard in the hub and exit the area under the dash to a junction box
The turn signals seem to work fine, so I guess it just the horn wire that I need to deal with. Thank you.

The turn signals seem to work fine, so I guess it just the horn wire that I need to deal with. Thank you.
Get a can of liquid electrical tape. It's next best thing to shrink wrap. I use it on all my connectors where they meet the wire and the insulation is cracked. You can use it anywhere and I'm sure you will find other spots where it would come in handy. Will not unwrap like tape. Tail light wires end up having a lot of cracks due to being jostled around. Available at almost any auto supply store.

I'd be concerned that if the steering column pulled out enough that you could see wires you need to go a bit deeper than just shoving it back together. I'm not familiar with what holds what in place but one of my concerns would be that it wasn't the telescoping mechanism that moved but that it was the steering shaft itself that was pulled up. I would think there is something that is supposed to keep that from happening... like a keeper on a shaft bearing or something.
I had the same concern. It did stop pulling out after just that little bit, but I still can't turn the collar, so I was thinking it might be a bigger problem. There seemed to be like a thin rubber sleeve around the steering column with the wires underneath, but the rubber sleeve is torn and the wire casing was worn. I appreciate the encouragement to keep looking into the issue.

@Roy, take a look at the first photo I had posted… this screw was missing in my column and when I eventually loosened the locking collar, the dang thing pulled out about 8 inches and I was looking at the steering shaft..as you can imagine you would not want this to happen when driving, if you’re exceeding this length, also look at the clamp down in the engine bay. you can see the routing of the directional signal wires in the 4th picture in this post

.IMG_6200.jpegIMG_6194.jpegIMG_6164.jpegIMG_6129.jpeg

Last edited:
@Roy, take a look at the first photo I had posted… this screw was missing in my column and when I eventually loosened the locking collar, the dang thing pulled out about 8 inches and I was looking at the steering shaft..as you can imagine you would not want this to happen when driving, if you’re exceeding this length, also look at the clamp down in the engine bay. you can see the routing of the directional signal wires in the 4th picture in this post

.View attachment 29552View attachment 29553View attachment 29554View attachment 29555
In your last picture, just above the ribbed collar where the wires are showing on the top, that is what I am seeing. The rest of the column is staying together. It only will pull out that distance that your picture shows. I don't have time to really check it out until the weekend. It doesn't seem right, something is not working as it should, but the steering shaft is solid and won't come out any more, so I don't think anything is missing, but maybe something broken. I have attached a picture to show what it looks like pulled out.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4
I'd start a P/M with Knuckle, He's been through the whole thing and may be able to direct you in a better fashion. he's been there , done that and willing to help.

Back