1956 Aftermarket Rear Bumper

Feathers56
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello!
I recently bought a 56 T-bird and I'm not sure if this is the correct bumper. It also looks like it was installed upside down. I've looked at 55 and 56 rear bumpers and have never seen one that looks like this.
00909_bnt4PumF4Flz_0qk0jK_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Definitely aftermarket and like the 55 and 56 Chevys a lot of customizers turn the stock bumpers upside down for a different look. I don’t believe the stock bumper has that cutout? My ‘55 doesn’t. Is that a trailer hitch under the license plate?

Definitely aftermarket and like the 55 and 56 Chevys a lot of customizers turn the stock bumpers upside down for a different look. I don’t believe the stock bumper has that cutout? My ‘55 doesn’t. Is that a trailer hitch under the license plate?
It's a light bulb.

Thanks for the information.

The bumper on a 56 is three pieces, Because of the continental kit.....The only year the kit was offered
1956 rear bumper.jpg1956-ford-thunderbird-original-barn find 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the three pieces I found....

Attachments

• exhaust connection in bumper left side.jpg
    exhaust connection in bumper left side.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Rear Bumper for my 56 T Bird.jpg
    Rear Bumper for my 56 T Bird.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 12
  • exhaust connection in bumper.jpg
    exhaust connection in bumper.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 12
Feathers56,

For my part, I would really be interested to see if you figure out what the actual original application of this bumper might be. I am looking for a straight bumper option like a ‘55. Given the 55 bumpers are getting hard to come by, other options would be good to have! Keep us posted on what you discover!

Are there any stamping numbers or other markings on the bumper? Also, have you been able to determine if the original bumper mounts are modified to make it fit?

Back