02 Tbird steering is "stiff" - ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've been driving this Bird since it was new. It has 75,000 miles on it. Lately, the steering has become "stiff". It's like driving a tank! What could be the problem?
I had the same problem with my 2002
I took it to a Ford dealer, and they checked the codes
It told them it was the PS pump, so I told them to change it
When that didn't fix the problem, I asked what the discharge pressure was from the old pump to the new one, and they didn't even take the pressure
Then they told me it was another part, but that didn't fix it either
So they finally got to the electric assist, and after they changed that it worked great
So I would suggest that you start with the electric assist first, and work backwards from there
Hope this helps

My 2002 has the same problem. Suspect it is the power steering pressure switch which is mounted on the back side of the power steering pump. Not too easy to get to as well as dealing with fluid mess when you pull it. Been debating on whether to do myself or take to mechanic.

After this problem showed up on my '04, every "shop" and the dealer said "power steering pump" when I consulted them. As I researched it, I began to suspect the FEM (Front Electronics Moduel). Since I have an '03, I moved the FEM over and the steering worked!
I sent the Moduel in to be refurbished for $228 and now everything is as should be.

The reason I kept looking is that when a shop suggested changing the pump, I asked them if it didn't fix the problem, were they going to pay for the pump and labor on an unneeded repair? You know what the answer was.........

These cars have speed sensitive steering. After driving on the freeway my steering seems stiff for a while. Maybe it has something to do with some steering module someplace. Usually when I turn the car off and back on, it is ok

After this problem showed up on my '04, every "shop" and the dealer said "power steering pump" when I consulted them. As I researched it, I began to suspect the FEM (Front Electronics Moduel). Since I have an '03, I moved the FEM over and the steering worked!
I sent the Moduel in to be refurbished for $228 and now everything is as should be.

The reason I kept looking is that when a shop suggested changing the pump, I asked them if it didn't fix the problem, were they going to pay for the pump and labor on an unneeded repair? You know what the answer was.........
Where did you send your FEM to get it rebuilt and can you do it or does ford have to do it.

Where did you send your FEM to get it rebuilt and can you do it or does ford have to do it.
Midwest Teck Mart...If that's not exactly it...Google : electronic module refurbish and I think you'll find him. Call him and talk to him if you have questions but for less than $250 you'll get your module as good as new. This guy knows his stuff and I think he gives a "lifetime" guarantee on the work. Tell him I sent you...he's fun to talk to, proud of his knowledge and work and I had many members here contact me for a referral and all have been as satisfied as I am. He's the only person I've used, but what I've read on the other forum, some of the other refurbishers are not so good?
John

I had the same problem with my 2002
I took it to a Ford dealer, and they checked the codes
It told them it was the PS pump, so I told them to change it
When that didn't fix the problem, I asked what the discharge pressure was from the old pump to the new one, and they didn't even take the pressure
Then they told me it was another part, but that didn't fix it either
So they finally got to the electric assist, and after they changed that it worked great
So I would suggest that you start with the electric assist first, and work backwards from there
Hope this helps
Hello. Is the "electric assist" the same as the FEM mentioned below?

Last edited by a moderator:
These cars have died sensitive steering. On the freeway the steering is supposed to get stiff. When I would get off the freeway the steering remained stiff. It is one of the symptoms of the FEM going bad. When I had the FEM replaced I never had the problem again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back