Windshield ,wipers, and dashboard removal on my 1955 bird

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking for help removing my windshield and wipers on my 1955 Thunderbird
I’m also looking for instructions on removing the complete dashboard and all parts involved in that process.
Does anyone out there know of any step by step instructions or videos on these ?
Thanks, JDJ

Over at a different Thunderbird forum there was a fairly recent posting with instructions to remove a dash from a '57. (tbirdforum *******). It's the same procedure for '55 & '56. As far as removing the wipers you remove the arms / blades assemblies from the outside then you remove the nuts from the outside (if you want to buy it there is a special tool available from supplier sources like Hill's, NPD, Larry's) I got mine off using non-specialized tools but I plan to purchase the special tool for re-installation later on. The wiper shafts then drop down inside the cockpit. If the dash is still in you will have to reach up under the dash to disconnect the arms from the vacuum motor or I'm pretty sure you can unbolt the vacuum motor and slide the whole assembly out. I would remove the windshield last so you will have sufficient room to run the razor knife around the inside to cut the rubber seal and pop the windshield out. First remove all the brightwork from all around the inside (you should have taken about half of the inside off to get the dashboard out). Take off the exterior brightwork. Leave the bottom piece of brightwork on the bottom outside of the windshield. It comes out with the windshield and is installed with the windshield later on.
You wrote that you are looking for help. Are you looking for help like these instructions or actual hands-on assistance? I know you told me you are in southern Maine. I'm in northeastern Mass. Do you think you might need me to come by there? It's actually an easy dis-assembly. Just work at it logically and don't just try to yank things apart. (you might have to use a little persuasion if things are really rusted.)

Over at a different Thunderbird forum there was a fairly recent posting with instructions to remove a dash from a '57. (tbirdforum *******). It's the same procedure for '55 & '56. As far as removing the wipers you remove the arms / blades assemblies from the outside then you remove the nuts from the outside (if you want to buy it there is a special tool available from supplier sources like Hill's, NPD, Larry's) I got mine off using non-specialized tools but I plan to purchase the special tool for re-installation later on. The wiper shafts then drop down inside the cockpit. If the dash is still in you will have to reach up under the dash to disconnect the arms from the vacuum motor or I'm pretty sure you can unbolt the vacuum motor and slide the whole assembly out. I would remove the windshield last so you will have sufficient room to run the razor knife around the inside to cut the rubber seal and pop the windshield out. First remove all the brightwork from all around the inside (you should have taken about half of the inside off to get the dashboard out). Take off the exterior brightwork. Leave the bottom piece of brightwork on the bottom outside of the windshield. It comes out with the windshield and is installed with the windshield later on.
You wrote that you are looking for help. Are you looking for help like these instructions or actual hands-on assistance? I know you told me you are in southern Maine. I'm in northeastern Mass. Do you think you might need me to come by there? It's actually an easy dis-assembly. Just work at it logically and don't just try to yank things apart. (you might have to use a little persuasion if things are really rusted.)
Thanks for the help ...again!

As far as the wiper removal I was told that the wiper arms just need to be pried up carefully to remove as the male studs on the car side are “ribbed” and the actual arms are just pressed down onto them.
Do you have a link to the special tool you describe in your post?

Regarding the windshield I was advised by a member to do it as you’ve described. I’ll see what it looks like after I remove all the brightwork what the rubber looks like. I thought the rubber came off with the glass and was taken off after the windshield was off the car?

Regarding “ looking for help”, I meant only by these forum messages,however that was a generous offer!
You never know tough before this is done we both may need an actual hand with each other’s car!
I live about forty miles from Portsmouth N.H. It’s an hour drive to the Hampton toll booth.
I am actually going down to Hampstead and Windham N.H. the end of next week to pick up my 292 and Fordomatic transmission .
I don’t know the exact timing yet but maybe I can stop and see your Bird if thats something you’d be okay with.

Thanks for all your help thus far!

Jerre

Hi, I looked in my Hill's catalog and then confirmed in their on-line catalog. They have various tools listed on page 149. They have a dash bezel tool(which is used to remove the bezels from various switches / knobs on the dash) The tool is P/N 10853-T and lists for $7.00. It makes it a little easier when removing the parts from the dash. There is also a wiper nut socket (17513-T) listed for $10.00.
National Parts depot also has the bezel tool for $7.50. NPD lists a wiper arm removal tool (956-1) for $5.96. I've never used one of those tools. I always used a small wooden wedge (to protect the paint) and a small lever to pry the arm up and off.
I looked in my Casco catalog also. Page 57 has the special tools. Wiper nut socket TL11 for $9.95 Dash bezel tool TL1 for $6.80.
Regarding next weekend when you go for your engine and trans. - I live about a half hour south of Windham. My car is already well on the way to dis-assembly and not much to look at right at this moment. If you want we can try to meet and I could show you a few things so you will know how it will look as you take yours apart.

Sorry, Late afternoon I am going to down in Danvers / Peabody area. Sorry we couldn't get together. Maybe next time.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't done anything to the car since that day I installed the body lift fixture. I have used the few warm (50 degrees or warmer) days to do some outside work in the yard, A brake job on a couple relatives cars and remove / replace the steering column on my '88 Buick Reatta. Then I also washed / waxed, gassed up (with stabilizer) and covered the Reatta and the Charger for the winter's nap. Hmmmm. I guess I've been busy!

Retirement keeps me VERY BUSY!! Lol

Back