56 thunderbird starter solenoid

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've had trouble starting my 56, like the battery was always dead. I had the battery checked, it is good, The man at the parts dept. showed me how to check the starting selenoid, it may be the problem, I replaced it, an easy fix. I installed the selenoid and the battery and now no power at all. I reinstalled the old selenoid and still nothing. the battery posts are clean, the battery is charged, what did I do. There's no horn lights gauges map light, nothing. Did I short out the switch or something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Ronnie K

Be sure your power lead is on the same side of the starter relay as the battery. The cable going to the starter shouldn't have any other wires on that lug.

I've had trouble starting my 56, like the battery was always dead. I had the battery checked, it is good, The man at the parts dept. showed me how to check the starting selenoid, it may be the problem, I replaced it, an easy fix. I installed the selenoid and the battery and now no power at all. I reinstalled the old selenoid and still nothing. the battery posts are clean, the battery is charged, what did I do. There's no horn lights gauges map light, nothing. Did I short out the switch or something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Ronnie K

You definitely have the (S) starter and (I) ignition wires in the right places?

There is a wire on the hot side of the solenoid that powers the car. This is the side of the solenoid where the short cable from the battery hooks to. There is a wire that attaches to the same lug and sends power to the ignition battery terminal of the voltage regulator and to the ignition switch. The car is powered from this wire. It is either disconnected or is broken. A volt meter and some testing should identify the problem.

Coke first is referring to the large yellow wire, as said it should be attached with the positive cable from the battery.
They should be attached to the large lug on the driver side of the solenoid.
The yellow wire runs back into the cab to the light switch,

I was going to post the where each of the yellow wires originating at the starter solenoid connect to and help RonnieK diagnose his problem, until I realized that his post was opened in 2017! Don’t you think he has corrected the problem by now?

I would be happy to help anyone who is currently having this problem. If anyone is currently having this problem let me know.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back