Winter storage

Aquarius

Aquarius

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
That time to put the Bird in it's nest. I keep mine in a heated garage, and won't take out till early April. What do I need do besides full tank with Sta-Bil or like product. Can I just disconnect the battery so that it will start again in the spring? Last year I left in and started occasionally but alas, it was DOA when spring came. Thanks in advance for any help!

Moderator note- check out this battery float on Amazon.com and STA-BIL fuel stabilizer
71jdOodlTnL._SL1500_.jpg
41Q+yBuX4eL._SY400_.jpg

You can get a battery "float" charger and leave it connected to the battery to keep it gently charged and ready for Spring. I use one on my boat and it works fine. Is E-free gas available in your area? I use that in my outboard and small motors and don't need Sta-Bil. Or you could move South and drive that baby all Winter!

I think the general consensus is about 6 months for non-ethanol gas. 30 days for ethanol gas, tops, prior to the breakdown

You can get a battery "float" charger at harbor Freight for $7-10 and leave it connected to the battery to keep it gently charged and ready for Spring. I use one on my boat and it works fine. Is E-free gas available in your area? I use that in my outboard and small motors and don't need Sta-Bil. Or you could move South and drive that baby all Winter!
Move south, now there's an idea! Thanks for the info on the charger!

That time to put the Bird in it's nest. I keep mine in a heated garage, and won't take out till early April. What do I need do besides full tank with Sta-Bil or like product. Can I just disconnect the battery so that it will start again in the spring? Last year I left in and started occasionally but alas, it was DOA when spring came. Thanks in advance for any help!
I put Sta-Bil in the gas and a trickle charger on the battery and it fires right up six months later.

Hi Aquarius. Another issue is that heated garage. Although the concept sounds good, a heated garage actually promotes corrosion, in that the speed of the chemical reaction that creates rust is higher the higher the temperature. Heated garages are convenient for people who don't want to get onto a freezing car every AM and also help the car start more easily, but if you won't be using the car over the Winter, it would be better for the car if you leave the heat off. It would also be good for the car if you start it once a month and drive it out onto the driveway and back in.

Thanks cbird, I'm in Minnesota so "heated" might be a stretch with cars coming and going all day long and -11 temps! LOL! Will just driving it out the driveway a bit keep it charged?
T
Thanks

Driving it out onto the driveway would allow the transmission to get into gear and would cause lubricants to flow in engine, transmission, and bearings, would also prevent one small area of each tire from having prolonged contact with the floor. It would take more than this to keep battery charged- 20 minutes of engine idling every two weeks may be sufficient. As you asked, disconnecting battery cables would sllow battery to remain charged for longer periods (maybe even a couple of months or more), but thr battery tender is probably the best way to go.
It's not good for a car to sit for too long, just backing out into the driveway once a month would do a lot for keeping it mechanicslly fresh.

OMG! 6 MONTHS! :( That's cruel and unusual punishment! Drive it! Shoot for the 10/10 rule. Ten miles every ten days - at least. :D It may not be easy, but your Bird will love you for it.

Last edited:
Move south? I AM south! And now you northerners can eat your heart out, because our show season is really getting into high gear! I just got home from a Friday night car cruise -- it was PACKED! I'll go to another one Saturday night. There are daytime shows but I rarely go. With cars in garages up north, my business is picking up.

OMG! 6 MONTHS! :( That's cruel and unusual punishment! Drive it! Shoot for the 10/10 rule. Ten miles every ten days - at least. :D It may not be easy, but your Bird will love you for it.
WOW true drive it! I didn't drive mine for 3 years and then it cost me $3,500.00 when I did!

Back