Rocker repair for 65 Tbird convertible

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hi. I have been looking for a 64-66 convertible that needs some work (in order to keep initial costs down--and I would do as much of the work as possible myself).

I have found one that is in pretty good condition with one big exception. The inner rockers are rusted. Now, I have no doubt the rust extends to floor pans and some other spots but it is the rockers that concern me. I have not seen this car first hand but have spoken to the owner a few times. It is about a 5 hour ride so I would go up there only with the intent to buy--which would hinge on the rocker issue.

I have never restored a car before but have no issue with learning as I go. Even replacing floorpans as a first timer is fine. But repairing rockers, Im not so sure. Now, I have no problem tackling this as a DIY job but wanted to find some guidance in the form of youtube videos or websites, but have found very little.

I understand that some have used 3x3 or 3x2 steel tubing to replace the rockers, but I dont have details on this. Also, I am not sure how torque boxes would be repaired, replaced.

Does anyone have any info on doing this? A step by step, or a video, or pics, or anything?

I like the price of the car-- because of the rockers and am willing to do the work if I can.

I'd appreciate any input from more experienced TBird owners. I only ask one thing. Please dont suggest bringing it to a shop and having a "pro" do it.

Thanks so much!

Do you ever watch American Pickers? Mike on the show calls cars with rusted out floor pans "Roached" and says they are parts cars. I'm by no means a restoration expert, just telling you what he says on the show repeatedly.

Anybody else have thoughts?

New
"Do you ever watch American Pickers? Mike on the show calls cars with rusted out floor pans "Roached" and says they are parts cars. I'm by no means a restoration expert, just telling you what he says on the show repeatedly."

Tbird - Yes I have watched. He just doesn't want to spend any time or money fixing cars that have some issues. His intent is to flip anything he buys with as little expense as possible. They are not "roached" they just require more attention and effort than he wants to apply.

msith718 - I have seen some cars brought back from pretty bad starting points. It comes down to many factors to determine what you want to do. I don't know your abilities but first and foremost in your mind has to be regarding whether it is safe after you are done. I personally would not count on just drilling and riveting the metal into place. I would consider drilling and pinning (or clamping if you have access) to hold things in place while stitch welding it all together. Another factor is availability of the materials (and your ability to rework or form) required for your job. If you take your time and approach things logically you should be very pleased with your end result. I have often said that if there is something that was made by another person then there is no reason why I cannot do it also. Of course a craftsman would be better at it than me but with patience and planning I can usually end up with very satisfactory results. The best part of it is that once I have done the job I have the tools that I have purchased and when done I have the ability to do something else that I would not be able to do if I didn't try. (That is then called ability, knowledge and experience)
I guess the bottom line is... It can be done and feel very rewarding! ... Don't just rip stuff apart and then try to figure out how it went. Take pictures of things familiar and unfamiliar before you tear into it. If you can't find the information on the forums or by googling you might be able to find an old issue of Hot Rod, or CarCraft magazine. They even used to every once in a while publish whole issues of do it yourself magazines for different process. (I learned a lot about carburetion and wiring using those do it yourself books!) You can also find technical manuals or books from schools / classes where they taught about the thing /process you are researching. I even took a night course in auto body at the local technical high school to get actual expert instruction and "hands on" experience.

I can't really give you information on how to do this particular car but you might be able to find information from another car that will lead you down the road to success. Be diligent and don't give up! I do have one caveat... If you are trying to "restore" the car to original you will spend a lot of time & money to bring back a car that has rust and would be better off trying to find a "rust free" starting point. As they get older "perfect" examples are getting harder and harder to locate. All you need is a pound of hundred dollar bills and you might have almost enough to pay for it.

Well, those are my thoughts. I don't know if anyone wanted to hear my opinion but I don't really worry too much about it.

Hi. I've been in the body repair industry for 20 years. There is no such thing as a "rust free" car. Even the ones with small rust holes need a replacement panel.
My 63 bird was a basket case. To repair a car including replacing rocker panels and torque boxes etc. It would be best to set the car up on a jig. Ensuring all gaps are set. This way when you cut the car to pieces it stays straight and doesn't bend like a banana.
I had both the new inner rocker panels folded up at a local sheet metal company. And made my own outer panels. For the torque boxes I made a template from thick cardboard. Then cut out and folded the new ones.
I hope this helps.
Adrian

Back