Headlight Switch

jjtbird

jjtbird

Lifetime Subscriber
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just discovered that the headlight switch pulls out a notch. Why? I can't figure out what it does. No lights come on nor any timer activated as far as I can tell...and... I didn't see anything in the manual.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have the same switch on my Ford Explorer which turns on the fog lights. In the Thunderbird there are no fog lights so the pull out feature does absolutely nothing. The switch is probably a carryover from the Lincoln LS.

I have to agree with Birdlover my T-bird has the same switch. In my 07 Mercury Milan it has the same switch and it does operate the fog lights. Ford probably got a good deal on those switches and put them in a number of different models.

I am so disappointed, I was sure it was a switch for a Supercharger or Fog Lights and maybe an Ejection Seat for that unwanted passenger. But NO.... Ford invented a switch for NOTHING ! That is value added service.

Just kidding,,, thanks to all, but it still hard to believe..

I also noticed my switch pulled out. I do have fog lights but didn't notice any change. I'll have to play with it some more.

My 2002 has the same switch. The fog lights are always on, as are the headlights, when the switch is in the auto position. I thought they should only come on when dark, but KC likes that they are on all the time anyway, so I haven't pursued that issue.

The headlight switch, radio, and climate control system on my 2004 are identical to my 2003 Expedition. So,on the bright side - makes it easier to find parts. . .

I got a new 2002 headlight switch and dimmer thumbwheel switch from RockAuto of all places - both were about $85 together.

This thread brings up an interesting question for me. We all should know by know that pulling the switch out on our Birds does absolutely nothing while the very same switch on other Ford models is functional.

My bird was one of the few that was built without the Driving lights (or fog lights as some call them) as a box on the order sheet was not marked for the "FREE" option. The plastic plugs on the nose drove me crazy, I ordered "Bling" lights from Ebay and the Bling lights filled the opened holes nicely. These lights have two options. a white and a blue light. It came with a toggle switch that we mounted under the dash at the extreme left near the door. Honestly while they look good, I have never used them mainly because I forget that they are there. Ok, that begs the question as to whether they can be wired to be functional by using this portion of the current none functional switch.
s-l500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're asking if your aftermarket lights can be made to work with the factory switch by pulling it out I would say yes. As long as pulling out the switch provides 12V to an output pin on the switch. The only complication is that it might require a relay depending on the current draw of the lights.

In another thread I posed the same question as to using the pull switch to work the OPL's or fog lights, whatever you would like to call them, but didn't get an answer. While I haven't looked into it, was hoping someone has, I suspect(and if I'm wrong please don't crucify me) that the switch only has 5+ volts and works through the FEM to do ground switching to turn lights on and off. The lights would have a constant +12 volts. If that is true, does anyone know if the FEM has a ground output that is programmed for the pull feature of the headlight switch??

The headlight switch, radio, and climate control system on my 2004 are identical to my 2003 Expedition. So,on the bright side - makes it easier to find parts. . .
uh
This thread brings up an interesting question for me. We all should know by know that pulling the switch out on our Birds does absolutely nothing while the very same switch on other Ford models is functional.

My bird was one of the few that was built without the Driving lights (or fog lights as some call them) as a box on the order sheet was not marked for the "FREE" option. The plastic plugs on the nose drove me crazy, I ordered "Bling" lights from Ebay and the Bling lights filled the opened holes nicely. These lights have two options. a white and a blue light. It came with a toggle switch that we mounted under the dash at the extreme left near the door. Honestly while they look good, I have never used them mainly because I forget that they are there. Ok, that begs the question as to whether they can be wired to be functional by using this portion of the current none functional switch.
View attachment 5069

View attachment 5069

My wife's 2005 came without the fog lights which I was told were not available in Canada. I ordered factory lights and harness but the dealer would not install them as they did not have a drawing. Next time we were in the US, I had a service shop install and connect them. They had a factory drawing. Lights work great.

Back