Replacing the mechanical sequential signal relay...

hurleyman77

hurleyman77

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Howdy,

New to the forum. I adopted a '66 T-Bird a while back, and I'm finally getting back to being able to work on it.

The two main issues I'm having right now are the distributor (it's loose, so the vacuum advance pulls it WAY too far, it'll idle, but it really doesn't want any accelerator), and the turn signals. The wiring is largely fine, but the mechanical sequential relay (as awesome as it is) just doesn't want to pass the pixies along to the lights.

I'm having a hard time finding much information about replacing that relay with a modern electrical relay. What relays have y'all had experience with, and would you recommend any of them?

I have heard that there is an upgrade for the early Cougars which is compatible to the T-Birds. Look on line for a Cougar site and see if they have the electronic sequential modular. Rick

I have heard that there is an upgrade for the early Cougars which is compatible to the T-Birds. Look on line for a Cougar site and see if they have the electronic sequential modular. Rick

Howdy,

New to the forum. I adopted a '66 T-Bird a while back, and I'm finally getting back to being able to work on it.

The two main issues I'm having right now are the distributor (it's loose, so the vacuum advance pulls it WAY too far, it'll idle, but it really doesn't want any accelerator), and the turn signals. The wiring is largely fine, but the mechanical sequential relay (as awesome as it is) just doesn't want to pass the pixies along to the lights.

I'm having a hard time finding much information about replacing that relay with a modern electrical relay. What relays have y'all had experience with, and would you recommend any of them?
Hurley man 77 one thing you may want to check is to see that the contacts are clean. I had all the lights that would work but the rear turn signals. I opened the plastic cover and even though it looked ok it was still very dirty, I sprayed it down with carb cleaner and it works like a dream.

Back