1956 292ci rebuild kit?

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well my 56's 292 has to be rebuilt due to a failed piston. so I'm looking for a good vendor to help me with a master rebuild kit. any suggestions out there? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Rich what part of this vast country are you from ? What you might look for in an engine rebuilder is a Machine Shop that does Performance and Stock engines. They seem to be a little more expensive but they are more into the longevity of they work. Some of these engine builders don't take the time or have the knowledge of rebuilding an older engine they do so many engines they tend to over look the little querks of older engines. A good trick is go to a restoration shop and see who they use for engine work or someone that does specialty work on older engines. Good Luck Rick

Hey Rich what part of this vast country are you from ? What you might look for in an engine rebuilder is a Machine Shop that does Performance and Stock engines. They seem to be a little more expensive but they are more into the longevity of they work. Some of these engine builders don't take the time or have the knowledge of rebuilding an older engine they do so many engines they tend to over look the little querks of older engines. A good trick is go to a restoration shop and see who they use for engine work or someone that does specialty work on older engines. Good Luck Rick

Thanks Rick! I'm in the Binghamton Ny. area. I have a mechanic who is about 6 years older than the Bird, He told me I could source out the parts for the rebuild. I like Larrys tbird for most items but am looking for a master rebuild kit. I also am a fair mechanic too. But I'm more familiar with jeeps and turbo diesels,

I don't think you are going to find a " Master Rebuild Kit " because when the motor is worn it has to be machined to factory spec again. This calls for maybe over sized bears, over sized pistons, a new cam shaft, and so on. What you might find is a Master Gasket Set which includes everything you need to put the motor back together again. Rick

I don't think you are going to find a " Master Rebuild Kit " because when the motor is worn it has to be machined to factory spec again. This calls for maybe over sized bears, over sized pistons, a new cam shaft, and so on. What you might find is a Master Gasket Set which includes everything you need to put the motor back together again. Rick
Yup I know, have to go 30 over on the pistons and 020 on the rod and mains both I see some kits out there but they only had cast rings, I would prefer stainless or molly. the kits also have a complete gasket set, new oil pump and timing gears, freeze plugs, even valve components I just would rather deal with a person/company instead of ebay. I left a message Friday to a company in California.

If you have a good Performance shop in your area or even go on line and see if you can purchase Cleveite bearings, Chrome Molly Rings, Melling Oil Pump, Comp Cam and Lifters, TRW pistons, Clouse Timing Set, Brass Freeze Out Plugs, and Stainless Steel Valves, and assorted hardware to put the heads together from a Engine Shop. If you ask for a package deal I am sure they would be more then happy to give you a nice discount on all you need. You will find if you can talk to a person who is doing this kind of work you will get better satisfaction then trying to out source the parts yourself. Remember these people are in the business of supplying parts to people and in the long run you will go back to them for advice and more parts. I have built plenty of engines in the past when you deal with one person or company you will get the project done faster and with less headaches. Sometimes the best price is not always the smart price. Rick

Hey Rich, the best of luck to you. Keep us updated as your project moves on. Rick

Update! received most everything need for a rebuild from "John Mummert" in CA. its finally been bored out and reassembly should be close in another week.

Well my 56's 292 has to be rebuilt due to a failed piston. so I'm looking for a good vendor to help me with a master rebuild kit. any suggestions out there? Thanks.
Hi Rich, I bought a rebuilt 292ci engine from S&J Engines Inc. (1023 N. Monroe, SPOKANE, WA 99201, 1-800-722-9950) recently (oct2015) and installed it myself, it runs like a new one, you can look at the pics of my car on this website, I posted them today,
check it out maybe this is an option for you.

Too far in to change the plan. Were gonna be fine I should have just under $3k in it when finished.

Too far in to change the plan. Were gonna be fine I should have just under $3k in it when finished.
Hi Rich, I understand; so I got my engine at a good price at 2299 USD, but then I had to pay freight, and duty etc, so it all came to more than 4000; however, after I had installed this engine, which I am driving now, I was sorry for my old engine and started renovating it, just the same as you are doing now; I am finished with it and will paint it tomorrow, orange colour;, I spent about 3000 for this job, just about like you; I will sell it if anybody needs a 292ci engine.

Where are you located? you mentioned duty fees. you might try Craigslist. I found the period correct top and a few other items there for mine.

Where are you located? you mentioned duty fees. you might try Craigslist. I found the period correct top and a few other items there for mine.
I am located in FRANCE Europe, across the ocean; thanks for the tip on Craigslist, I will look it up. As soon as I have finished the painting of the engine, I will post a few pictures of my renovation job.

I am located in FRANCE Europe, across the ocean; thanks for the tip on Craigslist, I will look it up. As soon as I have finished the painting of the engine, I will post a few pictures of my renovation job.
The Y-Block was used for many years, there is still a market for them. They were even used for truck power plants with a different cam. and I have seen a few that were used in dragsters, with aluminum heads. it was a very versatile motor in its day.

The Y-Block was used for many years, there is still a market for them. They were even used for truck power plants with a different cam. and I have seen a few that were used in dragsters, with aluminum heads. it was a very versatile motor in its day.
Yes it came to my mind that I could look for an old F-100 pick up truck, install my engine and restore the truck, I live in the country and a Pick up truck is always usefull.

Back