Swing away wheel

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
B

Blackbird65

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone. I'm new to the thunderbird scene. This is actually my first ford vehicle so I really don't know much about it. Just had a question. I just picked up a 1965 bird last night and when I put it in park it kept rolling. The swing away column was not locked in the position. Would that have something to do with it? It's a project. Only 77k miles and was told it ran fine except for a bad lifter

I have the same problem with mine. The realignment of the wheel requires a special tool. That may or may not fix your problem, Thunderbirds have soft transmissions and if you just bump the shifter lightly you will be rolling on your way. Use the parking break frequently!

Ditto. I have a '66 and it's easy to THINK that it's in park, when it's really not. If the wheel will swing away, it's most likely in park. If it won't, it's most likely not.

If the wheel WILL swing away, but it's still rolling, I'd be inclined to check the linkage to the transmission and make sure the transmission is in park.

Back